Jun 28, 2010, 12:53 PM EST
The Orlando Magic are in a tough spot. One season removed from the NBA finals the ground is shifting beneath their feet — Chicago could be a power, Miami could return to power, maybe both… the road to the finals in the East is getting harder.
Desperate times call for desperate measures — and nothing is more desperate than taking on Gilbert Arenas.
A person with knowledge of the Magic’s plans said a trade for Gilbert Arenas, the one-time superstar whose reputation took a massive hit with his gun suspension last season, remains a “definite possibility.” Smith has a good relationship with Arenas, but a stumbling block could be the fact that Howard has questions about whether Arenas would fit in. If Howard gets the answers he’s looking for, there could be legs to the Arenas-to-Orlando scenario.
Maybe the real stumbling block should be the four years, $80 million still owned Arenas. Or that he has always been a high-volume shooter — last season (before the suspension) he was scoring 22.6 points per game but needed 19.3 shots per game to get that because he shot just 41 percent. Which is pretty much the case before his injury problems in 2007. And he doesn’t get to the line like he used to.
Arenas still has some ball in him, but if the Magic think he is a big upgrade over Vince Carter they will be in for a surprise.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11