Jun 28, 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic are in a tough spot. One season removed from the NBA finals the ground is shifting beneath their feet — Chicago could be a power, Miami could return to power, maybe both… the road to the finals in the East is getting harder.
Desperate times call for desperate measures — and nothing is more desperate than taking on Gilbert Arenas.
A person with knowledge of the Magic’s plans said a trade for Gilbert Arenas, the one-time superstar whose reputation took a massive hit with his gun suspension last season, remains a “definite possibility.” Smith has a good relationship with Arenas, but a stumbling block could be the fact that Howard has questions about whether Arenas would fit in. If Howard gets the answers he’s looking for, there could be legs to the Arenas-to-Orlando scenario.
Maybe the real stumbling block should be the four years, $80 million still owned Arenas. Or that he has always been a high-volume shooter — last season (before the suspension) he was scoring 22.6 points per game but needed 19.3 shots per game to get that because he shot just 41 percent. Which is pretty much the case before his injury problems in 2007. And he doesn’t get to the line like he used to.
Arenas still has some ball in him, but if the Magic think he is a big upgrade over Vince Carter they will be in for a surprise.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36