Jun 28, 2010, 10:09 PM EDT
We’re all talking about LeBron James decision, and the fruits of that tree.
We forget that Phil Jackson is making a decision this week. One that could have more of a bearing on the next NBA champion than where LeBron lands.
Phil Jackson and everyone around him have said it’s about his health, not about the money and the pay cut owner Jerry Buss wants him to take. But in an interview with ESPNLosAngeles.com Derek Fisher said it’s not the money so much as what it represents.
“As much as it is about his quality of life and how he’s feeling, his energy levels,” Fisher said, “I think his decision could be easier if he wasn’t maybe feeling as though he’s not being fully appreciated, which is how it ultimately makes you feel.”
There have also been reports that Fisher’s decision to return to the Lakers is tied to Jackson. He danced around that question saying he doesn’t think of it like that.
“I think it’s an interesting debate,” Fisher said. “I think you could go either way, depending on who you are. In my opinion, I could be as valuable or more valuable to the team if, unfortunately, Phil wasn’t back. Because then a lot of the value I bring in terms of leadership and the things that’d be necessary to be able to hold it together during that type of transition would be even more important.”
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record