Jun 28, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
The Celtics are flagged to make a substantial drop-off next season, and if they’re to remain competitive in an Eastern Conference that seems to be consolidating talent (LeBron and Bosh to the Bulls? Wade and Amar’e to the Heat?), Boston will have to make some pretty significant moves. That’s tough given their cap situation, but adding Avery Bradley and Luke Harangody — two players capable of stepping into the NBA as immediate contributors — in the draft is a nice start.
Apparently another step in the plan is to court unrestricted free agent Brad Miller. From Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski:
The Boston Celtics have targeted center Brad Miller to sign in free agency, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Miller and guard Ray Allen are expected to be the Celtics’ two top priorities in summer free agency following the retirement of Rasheed Wallace and a knee injury to Kendrick Perkins.
The Celtics have their mid-level exception available to sign Miller, 34, who has the versatility to play the power forward and center spots for them. Several contenders are expected to pursue him, but sources say that the chance to play for the defending Eastern Conference champions has significant appeal to Miller. The departure of Wallace clears $13 million off Boston’s books over the next two seasons and leaves Boston with a gaping hole on its backline. Perkins suffered a torn MCL and PCL in Game 6 of the NBA Finals and faces a lengthy rehabilitation process.
I for one, hope this works out. Even if Boston would be foolish to use up too much of their mid-level on Miller, the opportunity to watch KG bark at Brad after another slow rotation would be priceless. I understand that the Celtics are looking for someone to fill minutes in the middle, but Miller? An odd fit at best.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1