Jun 28, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
The Celtics are flagged to make a substantial drop-off next season, and if they’re to remain competitive in an Eastern Conference that seems to be consolidating talent (LeBron and Bosh to the Bulls? Wade and Amar’e to the Heat?), Boston will have to make some pretty significant moves. That’s tough given their cap situation, but adding Avery Bradley and Luke Harangody — two players capable of stepping into the NBA as immediate contributors — in the draft is a nice start.
Apparently another step in the plan is to court unrestricted free agent Brad Miller. From Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski:
The Boston Celtics have targeted center Brad Miller to sign in free agency, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Miller and guard Ray Allen are expected to be the Celtics’ two top priorities in summer free agency following the retirement of Rasheed Wallace and a knee injury to Kendrick Perkins.
The Celtics have their mid-level exception available to sign Miller, 34, who has the versatility to play the power forward and center spots for them. Several contenders are expected to pursue him, but sources say that the chance to play for the defending Eastern Conference champions has significant appeal to Miller. The departure of Wallace clears $13 million off Boston’s books over the next two seasons and leaves Boston with a gaping hole on its backline. Perkins suffered a torn MCL and PCL in Game 6 of the NBA Finals and faces a lengthy rehabilitation process.
I for one, hope this works out. Even if Boston would be foolish to use up too much of their mid-level on Miller, the opportunity to watch KG bark at Brad after another slow rotation would be priceless. I understand that the Celtics are looking for someone to fill minutes in the middle, but Miller? An odd fit at best.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32