Jun 28, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
The Celtics are flagged to make a substantial drop-off next season, and if they’re to remain competitive in an Eastern Conference that seems to be consolidating talent (LeBron and Bosh to the Bulls? Wade and Amar’e to the Heat?), Boston will have to make some pretty significant moves. That’s tough given their cap situation, but adding Avery Bradley and Luke Harangody — two players capable of stepping into the NBA as immediate contributors — in the draft is a nice start.
Apparently another step in the plan is to court unrestricted free agent Brad Miller. From Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski:
The Boston Celtics have targeted center Brad Miller to sign in free agency, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Miller and guard Ray Allen are expected to be the Celtics’ two top priorities in summer free agency following the retirement of Rasheed Wallace and a knee injury to Kendrick Perkins.
The Celtics have their mid-level exception available to sign Miller, 34, who has the versatility to play the power forward and center spots for them. Several contenders are expected to pursue him, but sources say that the chance to play for the defending Eastern Conference champions has significant appeal to Miller. The departure of Wallace clears $13 million off Boston’s books over the next two seasons and leaves Boston with a gaping hole on its backline. Perkins suffered a torn MCL and PCL in Game 6 of the NBA Finals and faces a lengthy rehabilitation process.
I for one, hope this works out. Even if Boston would be foolish to use up too much of their mid-level on Miller, the opportunity to watch KG bark at Brad after another slow rotation would be priceless. I understand that the Celtics are looking for someone to fill minutes in the middle, but Miller? An odd fit at best.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4