Jun 27, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
You can say this for David Kahn. He’s not lacking for confidence.
The vexing General Manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves told the Star Tribune that they planned on being active in this summer’s free agency session. And we’re not talking just the lower level guys who you would expect to consider Minnesota. No, no. The toppermost of the second-most-toppermost.
The article states that Kahn and his associates took a list of free agent names, crossed off the ones who were too old or didn’t fit with their team (delicate balance of brilliance it currently is) and then crossed off three names who they didn’t think they could reasonably expect to sign.
For fun, let’s call these three hypothetical free agents Schmeschmon Schmames, Shmyane Schmade, and Schmis Shmoss.
That would still leave guys like Carlos Boozer, David Lee, and Amar’e freaking Stoudemire as guys that Kahn expects to be able to lob offers for.
Okay, let’s throw out all the stuff about how Minnesota is so miserable weather-wise that Ricky Rubio has to be dragged there kicking and screaming. Let’s toss out the fact that the last relevant musical group from there was either Prince or the Replacements, depending on when you think each made it (the Hold Steady would also technically qualify). Let’s just focus on basketball.
Kahn is going into next season planning on trading Al Jefferson who is considered a phenomenal post player, and starting Darko Milicic, who’s really only good for a rant in which he threatens to do illegal things to officials’ daughters.
None of this creates a lot of confidence in their ability to sign marquee guys to big deals in a summer that will be the most competitive ever for teams trying to remake their squads.
Kahn’s draft night moves made people baffled as to what exactly it was he was doing. Now they know. He’s engaging in a complete departure from reality.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld