Jun 26, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Earlier we told you that the Cavs have turned their coaching attentions towards Brian Shaw. It behooves us to talk a little bit about what this means for Cleveland.
It means Cleveland is trying valiantly to be a premier franchise in the league. They’re willing to go out and aggressively pursue guys with championship rings. They want to show LeBron they’re willing to bring in the best to coach him (or at least, the best’s right hand man). They want to prove they’re on par with Hollywood.
And they’re going to end up looking bad again.
The Cavs need to hit a homerun with this hire, but they’re swinging for a pitch they can’t hit. Shaw has been in the Lakers’ system for years behind Phil Jackson. The triangle offense is incredibly difficult to run if you don’t have one of the two best players of the respective era in which you’re playing (ask Kurt Rambis). Shaw knows that Phil Jackson is close to retiring, and that the Lakers job, a job that could set him up for life by netting him an easy championship as head coach, may be right there for the taking.
Cleveland’s a fine city, rich in sports history with tremendous fans. But the Cavs dont’ need to be wasting their time with Brian Shaw. They need to go find a coach that’s attractive to LeBron and that doesn’t care about playing in Cleveland. It’s a hard fit, but one they need to focus on, rather than going all Jimminy Cricket on a star.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42