Jun 26, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
The Portland Trail Blazers fired GM Kevin Pritchard Thursday night after three years in which he led the Blazers from utter disaster to one of the most promising core of players in the league. He was fired despite being known for “winning” nearly ever transaction he was involved in and being one step ahead of the rest of the front offices in the NBA.
The Blazers may be looking to replace him with a man that somehow managed to not win a championship with the best player in basketball, despite an open checkbook to accomplish that goal.
ESPN reports the Blazers are interested in former Cavs GM Danny Ferry for their open general manager position.
Ferry led the Cavs to the Finals in 2007, and multiple 60+ win seasons. But he did so despite having the MVP LeBron James on roster and having the authority to spend what he needed to in order to win a championship. Ferry is widely considered shrewd, but unable to land the marquee deal, repeatedly failing to capitalize on opportunities given with long-term expiring contracts.
For example, he opted for Wally Sczerbiak as a marquee shooter for LeBron, Ben Wallace as a defensive stopper (despite his offensive liabilities) and Shaquille O’Neal as the Big Kahuna he caught. Then he made the big trade that netted Antawn Jamison instead of Amar’e Stoudemire. It was the right move at the time. It also probably resulted in his firing, as Jamison was unable to capitalize on what he was brought in to do against the Boston Celtics.
Ferry did deliver multiple 60+ win seasons, but has proven to be the opposite of Kevin Pritchard, opting for the safe move instead of swinging for the fences. Is that really what the Blazers need, with an injury prone roster and Brandon Roy as their only real star? We’ll find out if he lands the Blazers gig.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18