Rasheed Wallace to retire, the world is now a little more gray

Jun 25, 2010, 3:47 AM EDT

Rasheed Wallace.jpgThe NBA just got a little less interesting.

There was nobody in the league like Rasheed Wallace, and he has decided to walk away, according to David Aldridge writing for NBA.com.

He battled through an injury plagued season and although he was owed nearly $13 million over the next two seasons he decided he didn’t want to go through that again.

Sheed won an NBA title in 2004 when he came over to the Pistons mid season and teamed with Ben Wallace to anchor a powerful defense that knocked off the Lakers.

People were expecting — or hoping — for the same thing when he joined the Celtics for this past season. And they did make it to the NBA finals and pushed the Lakers seven games. But they team did a lot of that in spite of Sheed, not because of his help. He just wasn’t quite the same (although he still hit some key threes).

Wallace was a technical-foul magnate, a guy who talked to the referees like the fans want to talk to the refs. Except he picked up techicals and fines for it. Never stopped him, though.

He was a character, a wild card in a world of safe, corporate-friendly images. It’s just not going to be the same without him.

1. Rich K - Jun 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Both teams played hard my man, both teams played hard…..

2. Dan K - Jun 25, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Good for you Sheed!

3. John K - Jun 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Wallace was a “character”? Ummm. The term hardly does him justice. Ask the fans in Portland who tolerated his boorishness and punk-like attitude. I hope Wallace enjoys retirement.

4. Celtics for life - Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Heres to a guy who always gave it all….body and mouth..you will be missed my friend *Ref’s, T him up one more time for ol time sake”

5. JTStwenty1 - Jun 25, 2010 at 8:49 AM

One of the best PF in the league history, great college career and and consistant NBA career!!! One of my favorite players of all time!

6. Mr. RLW - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Nice, albeit extremely short article about a great player, but here’s where it went wrong IMO:
    “And they did make it to the NBA finals and pushed the Lakers seven games. But they team did a lot of that in spite of Sheed, not because of his help. He just wasn’t quite the same (although he still hit some key threes).”
    Anyone who truly knows the game and watched Boston this year and in the playoffs, knows they wouldn’t have gone as far in the post-season or against the Lakers w/o Rasheed. Are you kidding me? What were you watching really. His defense in the post when he was subbed in was still elite level, which was big against the Lakers frontcourt and all that length.
    With that said, Rasheed, if he wanted to… had the complete game offensively and defensively to have been one of the greatest PF’s in league history. But he said as a rookie, he didn’t want to be a superstar, he’d rather be more like a Horace Grant type of player for a team (referencing the old Bulls dynasty). I’ll definitely miss him though as a fan of the game. Wish him nothing but the best.

7. Mr. RLW - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM

8. Jeff - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Seriously stick to American Idol or whatever it is people like you love. You don’t know basketball that’s for damn sure. The fans in Portland loved, and still love, Rasheed and his passion. You obviously have never been to a game when he returned as a member of the opposing team. So please, do us all a favor and STHU.

9. Rob - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

The thing I found to be most surprising, I was watching an interview with one of the refs and him and a few other gentlemen said Rasheed is probably the most intelligent player in the NBA. To me, that elevated his stature in my eyes, way more than his physical talents ever could. God Bless you in retirement!!

10. Sut - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Agreed. For those that really know the game, this guy could flat out play. Portland was a mess and you can’t blame that on him. A full 6’10″, great defender, rebounder, solid passer, scores, put it on the floor without turning it over. Never as high-profile as the Mailman, but a seriously legit PF in the league for a very long time.

11. Dave - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Don’t do it Sheed! Give Boston another run!

12. Mike Dunleavy - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Classic million dollar athlete with a 10 cent head!

13. scooter25 - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Yep i agree, one of my favorites…
    i keep tellingmy Miami Heat fans that they needed Sheed they would just laugh at me.

14. scooter25 - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM

SHEEEEEEEED….. one of the best ever

15. yepyep - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

miami needs him? scooter you’re an idiot

16. ChileG - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM

“Mike Dunleavy, when he had him in Portland said Rasheed was a great guy to have on a team.”
    -Dean Smith

17. ChileG - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM

From the mouth of the real Mike Dunleavy:
    When I was coaching in Portland, I had Rasheed Wallace. He was a great player and somebody everyone on the team liked. The thing was, he just didn’t want to be the go-to guy at the end of a game. He didn’t want you to call a play for him, yet if you gave him the ball at the end he would deliver.
    To counter that, I would run a play for somebody else, even though the ball would ultimately wind up in Rasheed’s hands. I’d tell him, “OK, Rasheed, we’re going to run a play for Scottie Pippen. Pipp, you come off that screen and knock down that 17-foot jumper.”
    And then as they were walking away from the huddle, I’d grab Pipp and tell him, “Don’t even think about shooting that jump shot. Drop the ball into Rasheed.” And he’d do that, and Rasheed would turn around and hit the game-winner off the glass.

18. ScottNY - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Rasheed reminds me of Derrick Coleman. Both had the complete package of skills and could have been in the top 10 and maybe even the top 5 power forwards to ever play the game. They both lacked the desire to take full advantage of the abilities they were blessed with. What a waste ….

19. Rick - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Good bye and bad luck to you and your family. Portland still and always will hate you and ground you walk on.

20. Axe Head - Jun 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Rasheed’s antics on the court really used to annoy me. I think I was taking him too seriously, though, and I learned to appreciate the comic entertainment he brought to every foul call.

21. Chuck - Jun 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I saw Sheed twice at Washington Square Mall in Beaverton (west suburb of Portland). Everyone would be watching him, either sitting on a bench outside the Meier (sp) & Frank store or in the Foot Locker with his SO. Neither time, did anyone approach him or say anything to him. You could see the kids wanting so badly to get close, but their parents hold them back. My opinion… they were too afraid of the reaction they would get. The best player of the Jail Blazer era, but he refused to take a leadership role. Never even close to Clyde or Brian G. He was just a Wasteoid!

22. Azucar - Jun 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I’m glad he is gone. The NBA is a better league without him. Fans forget that during his prime he caused a lot of disruption for Mr. Stern. He used racial slurs which created racial divisions within the league, he lost all composure with his antics on the court disputing obvious fouls making it about him instead of the team, and was not a mentor for young guys entering into the NBA by using marijuana excessively while playing with them. He got fined for reasons. Fans now are writing about him as “sheed”…whatever….the dude will not even consider you if you are not black. He has a hatred for caucasions and is a racist.
    1. Both teams played hard, both teams played hard: childish
    2. The ball don’t lie, the ball don’t lie: pathetic
    3. Calling David Stern the “white man” and describing the NBA as a bunch of black men working for the “man” like slavery only compounds his stupidity.
    Now go burn one and get that birth mark on your scalp where no hair grows fixed you overpaid racist ungrateful self entitled shadow.

23. Tarheel4Ever - Jun 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Thanks ‘Sheed. I watched your career from UNC on. I loved your passion for the game and competition. In my estimation, you are one of the best forwards UNC has produced. Good luck, God speed.

24. AngelicaS - Jun 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Nothing but love for Rasheed Wallace— another Carolina great! Go Tarheels!

25. Harry Ball - Jun 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Damn I’m getting old. I still remember going to Carolina games when I/he was in college. I didn’t realize it had been 15 years already. Anyway, congrats Sheed and don’t go Lawrence Taylor on a bytch.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview