Jun 25, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
Derrick Favors is going to be good, maybe very good.
Someday. Right now he is a raw rookie who is about to have to refine his game in the rough world of the NBA. It’s not an easy transition for the best of them.
It depends on how fast he moves along, but we’re not expecting him to come in and play 38 minutes next year and score 18 points and get 10 rebounds. That’s not what we’re expecting. Kevin Garnett came out of high school basically at the same age of this kid and I know he didn’t go to college but they were around the same age… and I think Kevin averaged about 11 points per game his rookie season.
We just want to get him in, get him through his press conference on Tuesday, get him on the court for summer league practice on Wednesday, and we’ll have a chance to coach him and get him up to speed on the NBA game. The game is going to be moving pretty fast for him early on and it’s gonna be much more physical than he ever experienced in college. There’s gonna be an adjustment period. I just don’t know how long….”
But Johnson thinks once he does mature — both physically and his game — his ceiling is very, very high.
“I just think he can be a smaller version from a physical and athletic standpoint to Dwight Howard, but have a better jump shot and more of a touch around the basket. I think he will be able to block shots and rebound and in time be able to move to about 16 feet. He has a left-handed jump hook, a right-handed jump hook, and he’s gonna be craftier. Just a smaller version of Dwight Howard once he puts on the weight.”
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20