Jun 25, 2010, 7:29 PM EDT
Remember talks of LeBron James going on a nationwide tour to be wined and dined by the teams and cities that wanted him?
Yea, not so much.
All meetings with teams will be at a neutral site, James’ right hand man Maverick Carter told ESPN’s Chris Broussard.
“LeBron is not going on a tour,” Carter said. “He never planned to go on a tour and has not been a part of any team’s plans for a recruiting trip.”
There are one of two truths here: Either there never was a recruiting tour planned; or there was, but as the early waves of fan backlash to how much he was enjoying being wooed reached Team LeBron, they cancelled the plan to protect his image.
You can decide for yourself which of those was real, but when teams were told there would be no recruiting tour caught them off guard.
New York had made very public its plans for celebrities to stop in, for a fine meal by a top chef, for all the glitz and glamour of New York to be laid out before LeBron. Neutral site is not good for the Knicks, who have to now just pitch the merits of their roster. Which has few merits.
Other teams will woo Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, but LeBron will have to be the first domino to fall before free agency really gets rolling.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record