Jun 25, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Cleveland continues to interview every head coaching prospect under the sun, and they’ve added L.A. assistant Brian Shaw to their itinerary. From Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times:
Shaw, a Lakers assistant coach the last five seasons, has been officially approached for an interview by Cleveland, The Times has learned, making this week even busier for the NBA champions. Cleveland needs to hire a head coach. “They did call a couple of days ago and we did grant permission,” Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. “Now it’s up to Brian and Cleveland. All of our coaches’ contracts run out at the end of the month anyway, so it is accurate.”
Shaw, 43, spoke with Cavaliers representatives earlier this week and probably will fly to Cleveland next week for a face-to-face interview with the team’s owner and front-office staff. It has been reported that LeBron James has a strong interest in the triangle offense, something in which Shaw is well-versed because of his four years as a Lakers player who won three championships from 2000 to 2002. James is expected to become a free agent July 1, and there is no guarantee he’ll return to the Cavaliers next season, even if Shaw lands the job.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Cavs wanting to interview Shaw; it’s hard to say with any certainty whether an assistant will pan out as a successful head coach, but Brian seems like he’d be a reasonably effective one.
What is a bit odd, though, is the Cavs’ fascination with the triangle offense. I realize that there is some allure to the system that made champions out of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, but LeBron James isn’t really an ideal fit for the system. If the triangle is a contingency plan, that’s one thing, but as a selling point? Without Phil running the show? It’s a tough offense for any coach and any roster to run, much less one in serious flux with a potential first-timer holding the clipboard.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32