Jun 24, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Indiana wants to run. Indiana has nobody who can lead the break. Ergo, an ugly and unproductive season.
Larry Bird has been trying since the season ended to get an established point guard, via trade or free agency or alien abduction. Whatever it takes.
Since it is NBA Draft day, the Pacers are trying to turn the No. 10 pick into Darren Collison, or Ty Lawson or Jonny Flynn or one of a number of other points. Bird admitted as much to the Indianapolis Star.
“There’s a lot of options out there,” Bird said Tuesday. “At this stage, you’re just talking to different teams. You make offers and people start thinking about them. There’s nothing concrete right now, but we do have a lot of offers out there and different scenarios.
“I want to win; our team wants to win. If the right deal comes up, we would probably move forward. You never know what’s going to happen, but it’s time to win here.”
There was a time when it wasn’t a time to win?
Aside the odd quote, Bird can get a point guard but he’s going to have to give up something of value. Like Brandon Rush. But you can’t get something for nothing, and while the No. 10 pick isn’t nothing it’s not all that, either.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 1
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 7
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 35
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars