Kobe Bryant planning finger surgery

Jun 24, 2010, 2:13 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for bryant_game2.pngBy the finals, it wasn’t even a talking point any more. Kobe Bryant was playing through an avulsion fracture in his finger, and we didn’t blink. As if it was natural, like a salmon swimming upstream to mate or Lindsay Lohan pissing off a judge. We didn’t think twice of it.

But it still hurt, Kobe’s fingers still looked like he had spent the last 10 years doing hard labor in Siberia. They bent in uncomfortable ways. Enough that Kobe is actually seriously thinking about surgery, as ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Arash Markazi reports.

“I’m going to talk with our staff here and [Lakers general manager] Mitch [Kupchak] as well and come up with a timeline to take care of some of the injuries that have been nagging me and things we need to address,” Bryant said. “We’ll do that before I leave…”

Bryant said his surgery would “probably be something invasive” but didn’t “expect it to be anything major….”

“If it makes sense, I’m all for it,” he said. “You have to look at the recovery time and look at what’s going on. At that time it was during the season and I was playing fine with the pinkie so it’s the start of the summer and I have plenty of time.”

What he likely will miss with this is the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. Which Kobe was probably going to miss anyway after going to the finals three years in a row, he wanted some rest.

But if you think he’s missing a game of the regular season…

1. mark - Jun 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I am offended at how horribly written this post is – its incoherent! Every other sentence is awkward. Even Kobe’s quote makes more sense. The second paragraph is just a train wreck. Are we talking about his pinkie or his pointer finger? C’mon!
    Yet, I will continue to read this blog because you guys drop stories faster than anyone.
    srsly?!? Did a junior higher write this?

2. mark - Jun 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I am offended at how horribly written this post is – its incoherent! Every other sentence is awkward and even Kobe’s quote makes more sense. The second paragraph is just a train wreck. Are we talking about his pinkie or his pointer finger? C’mon!
    srsly?!? Did a junior higher write this?
    (sorry, Kurt)

3. Hardy Har Har - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM

He injured his finger trying to stick it in a girl he was raping.

4. Qman - Jun 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Please poor Kobe played through the pain the hero that he is….
    Why people choose to promote and glorify an accused RAPIST is beyond me. He paid off his accuser and his wife because he didn’t want the truth to come out. He’s a coward and a loser as a person. LA fans should be ashamed of themselves and should have booted Kobe out of town for what he did. That’s why LA is so phony and no I wouldn’t want him on my team no matter how good he is. I have morals.

5. Mamaba there goes that man - Jul 4, 2010 at 7:19 PM

LoL well get your moral ass off the site you holy rolling clown. Kobe wasn’t convicted of anything! were you there when he “paid” this woman off? this article isn’t even about any of that. you’re a loser as a LOSER! Long live Ring Bryant.
    BTW i’m a writer myself, and who cares, it’s just a little sports blurb. although i was also a little confused as to whether it was the finger or the pinkie knuckle.
    What about the knee and ankle injuries btw?

6. Qman - Jul 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Uh, I think the woman he RAPED might care. Oh thats right it wasn’t your wife or daughter. So why have morals. Typical LA attitude. You’re a writer yet you don’t read the news? He settled out of court moron, I didn’t need to be there. I’m sure you think he paid her and his wife off because he was innocent? He did it because he wanted it to go away. He’s a coward and a loser who happens to be a good basketball player. Lets not lose sight of what kind of person he really is, thats all I am saying.

7. Brooklyn Ken - Jul 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM

key word “ACCUSED”, you think this country would let a black man get away with the rape of a white girl? LOL! She had the semen of seven different men in her panties. Where I’m from we call that a whore. None of her peers in her high school supported her, and she didn’t even support herself by testifying against Bryant. Further more she bragged to friends about how big Kobe’s penis was. Doesn’t sound like a rape victim to me or to most of America. LONG LIVE THE BLACK MAMBA! And to the haters “Eat a dik!”

8. Qman - Jul 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Great post. Quality all the way. I guess I’ll rethink my stance on the rapist er Kobe and LA fans in general.

9. T. - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The woman he “raped” was heard by friends at a party (probably with a drink in her hand) bragging she had sex with him. It was also proven that she snuck up to his room avoiding security like she did many other times. People like you who are jealous of Kobe can’t stand it that the woman he “raped” was not as innocent as you think!!!

10. Phuck All Kobe Haters - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM

You ignorant Kobe haters. Shaq is going to rape all of your mothers with his big black dick and then rape KG and Paul Pierce.

11. jay01 - Aug 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM

None of us was there in the room and to bring it up over and over like we know all the facts is craziness. Lets stick to basketball talk not opinions of character for we all have character issues..

12. G-Man - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM

He He He, my ass!!! That comment was very disrespectful and last i checked he was found not guilty. She was a young lady that happily gang bang a few guys before Mr. Bryant but nobody wants to discuss her whorish ways. Grow up “wannabee”.

13. G-Man - Aug 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Yo cry baby, the girl was a hoe and since you watched the news then you’re also
    aware of due testimony, semen, and vaginal exam. she was gang bang by four other
    guys before Kobe. She was a broke trailer trash heifer that saw an opportunity to get paid and she did. What other ignorant ass country that according to criminal law an individual is found not guilty but the false accusers through civil court get awarded 5million. Don’t be mad if you can’t get a woman that wants you homie. In the words of Kobe “get on theeeez nutzzzzz”.

14. qman - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Laker fans can have Kobe he is exaclty where he belongs – in the land of no morals
    First – he was never found not guilty. He settled. The fact is if it did go to trial he might have been found not guilty but he settled instead….hmmmm
    Second – read his own statement. Why exactly did he settle? Could it be because he’s GUILTY?
    Before the case was scheduled to go to trial, Faber filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident on August 10. The two sides ultimately settled that lawsuit, with specific terms of the settlement being undisclosed to the public. Bryant did, however, issue the following statement through his attorney, as part of an agreement with the accuser to dismiss the sexual assault charge:
    “ First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.
    I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.
    I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.[24] – Kobe Bryant
    Yeah he’s a stand up guy

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures