Jun 24, 2010, 2:13 AM EDT
By the finals, it wasn’t even a talking point any more. Kobe Bryant was playing through an avulsion fracture in his finger, and we didn’t blink. As if it was natural, like a salmon swimming upstream to mate or Lindsay Lohan pissing off a judge. We didn’t think twice of it.
But it still hurt, Kobe’s fingers still looked like he had spent the last 10 years doing hard labor in Siberia. They bent in uncomfortable ways. Enough that Kobe is actually seriously thinking about surgery, as ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Arash Markazi reports.
“I’m going to talk with our staff here and [Lakers general manager] Mitch [Kupchak] as well and come up with a timeline to take care of some of the injuries that have been nagging me and things we need to address,” Bryant said. “We’ll do that before I leave…”
Bryant said his surgery would “probably be something invasive” but didn’t “expect it to be anything major….”
“If it makes sense, I’m all for it,” he said. “You have to look at the recovery time and look at what’s going on. At that time it was during the season and I was playing fine with the pinkie so it’s the start of the summer and I have plenty of time.”
What he likely will miss with this is the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. Which Kobe was probably going to miss anyway after going to the finals three years in a row, he wanted some rest.
But if you think he’s missing a game of the regular season…
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20