Jun 24, 2010, 2:13 AM EDT
By the finals, it wasn’t even a talking point any more. Kobe Bryant was playing through an avulsion fracture in his finger, and we didn’t blink. As if it was natural, like a salmon swimming upstream to mate or Lindsay Lohan pissing off a judge. We didn’t think twice of it.
But it still hurt, Kobe’s fingers still looked like he had spent the last 10 years doing hard labor in Siberia. They bent in uncomfortable ways. Enough that Kobe is actually seriously thinking about surgery, as ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Arash Markazi reports.
“I’m going to talk with our staff here and [Lakers general manager] Mitch [Kupchak] as well and come up with a timeline to take care of some of the injuries that have been nagging me and things we need to address,” Bryant said. “We’ll do that before I leave…”
Bryant said his surgery would “probably be something invasive” but didn’t “expect it to be anything major….”
“If it makes sense, I’m all for it,” he said. “You have to look at the recovery time and look at what’s going on. At that time it was during the season and I was playing fine with the pinkie so it’s the start of the summer and I have plenty of time.”
What he likely will miss with this is the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. Which Kobe was probably going to miss anyway after going to the finals three years in a row, he wanted some rest.
But if you think he’s missing a game of the regular season…
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 0
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 6
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 31
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 1
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 7
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (92)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay