Jun 23, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Rudy Fernandez is not a happy man in Portland. He feels he never got a chance, he feels ignored, he doesn’t like the coach, doesn’t like how he’s being used, probably doesn’t even like the pastrami burger at Kenny & Zuke’s Delicatessen. And everybody likes the pastrami burger at Kenny & Zuke’s.
Maybe what he needs is a fresh start, to play in a wide-open system, maybe to play in the most cosmopolitan of cities.
Good news Rudy — the New York Knicks are considering trading for you.
That’s what Jonathon Abrams reports in the New York Times. Something like Fernandez for one of the Knicks two second-round picks (38 and 39) plus Wilson Chandler or Toney Douglas.
Chandler and Douglas are both players on the rise, but Fernandez is a more mature player than both of them, and is a better three-point shooter. Simply, Fernandez is a better fit right now along whoever the Knicks can bring in via free agency.
Fernandez is not expensive either, at $1.25 million this year with the team having the option for next year.
Of all the crazy trade ideas out there, this one makes about the most sense. So, probably won’t happen.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 9
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 25
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 9
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 103
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut