Jun 22, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
The Trail Blazers are very high on Nicolas Batum, the French player they are convinced can become the defensive stopper on the perimeter every team needs. Batum said after his exit interviews his goal is to be first team all NBA Defense next year.
How high are the Blazers on him? That they rejected the No. 4 overall pick from the Timberwolves for him, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford.
Batum had a very good +/- last season of +4.5 per 48 (meaning when he was on the floor they outscored their opponents by +4.5 points per game). His offensive game showed a lot of improvement last season and on the other side he was tough on opposing threes and the occasional two such as Kobe Bryant.
You need a wing defender to really advance in the playoffs. They don’t need a rookie big learning on the go. The Blazers seem to understand how to handle their roster a lot better than how to handle their general managers.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 45
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23