Nobody is sure what Phil Jackson is going to do, not even his family

Jun 22, 2010, 9:36 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for pjackson_finals.jpgHere’s the best part — we’re all going to know what Phil Jackson wants to do by the end of the week. Come back to the Lakers or stay on his ranch in Montana.

But nobody knows what he is going to do. Apparently not even his family, although they think he may be done, as his daughter Chelsea told Sports Illustrated (in a fantastic bit of sports writing by Lee Jenkins that you really should read, just to learn more about Jackson).

“I think this is it,” Chelsea says. “I think he’s done now.”

His family knows one side of him. His Lakers family knows another, and everyone there is of the impression that if the doctor gives the okay he will be back.

Phil Jackson is too complex to predict simply. He clearly has something in mind, he is making a quick decision this year not dragging it out. He missed the parade Monday to go to the doctor and have tests done.

We’ll all know soon what he is thinking. But anything beyond that is speculation.

1. Carol Claus - Jun 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Dear Phil,
    Hope you are well & happy. You did [another] good job, as always :)
    I will be happy whatever you decide, if you are happy. We love you and we respect you and we get your zen!!!
    Do what you have to do…if you’re with us, we’ll be happy. If you’re with you, we’ll be happy.
    Love & best wishes,
    Carol Claus

2. Eric - Jun 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a die hard Laker fan…but how stupid is it to contemplate whether a super millioniare is going to return and earn millions more coaching grown men playing a game, when other people are dying overseas in battle, and others are worrying whether they’re going to be evicted from their homes, or wondering where their next meal is coming from?

3. luffy - Jun 23, 2010 at 1:24 AM

? Ok, if Phil doesn’t coach next season, will the dying overseas in battle live? Will the homes of the ones being evicted be given back to them? Will the hungry have something to eat?
    Think of the Sports and leave those problems to the president and his crew. “Yes we can, yes they can”…
    1 more season Phil, please… just complete your 4th 3peat…

4. Mollie - Jun 23, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Phil wherever you decide is alright with me. You will be the Zen Master and you will have our respect forever.

5. terry - Jun 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Phil;
    The ‘zen-master’ routine you had went over BIG in Chicago, although you weren’t the one who started it – it was made up by the writers who knew you looked down on them both physically and mentally so they had to invent it. In any event it worked – 6 titles in 9 years. Then you got on your brand new motorcycle and off you went.
    IN la-la land it was HUUUUGE, which was entirely predictable, and it still is. And you play it to the hilt. You’re gonna do whatever you do and best of luck to you.
    Just every now and then breath a word of thanks to the guy who plucked you out of nowhere 23 or 24 odd years ago and got you started – when no one else was willing to give you a chance.
    A fella by the name of Jerry Krause.
    BTW – You ARE a great coach
    P.S. – MJ has 6, KB has 5. Add them together that makes 11. Does the name ‘Bill Russell’ ring a bell? 11 titles in 13 years, the last 2 as a player-coach.
    And – congrats to the Lakers, this from a Celts’ fan. The payback was 2 years in coming to both the Celts and their obnoxious (post-game) fans and you did it, so now WE have to something to stew over until the next time.
    Give me a 2 word phrase for ‘something that gets under your skin and you can do NOTHING about’.
    Jack Nicholson

6. Flip - Jun 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Phil Jackson has shown a great ability to manage high priced egos and self serving temperments. What greater challenge is there now but to GO MANAGE THE FRENCH SOCCER TEAM. His knowledge of soccer (or lack of it) is the least important qualification for the job at this point.

7. Iowa H-BR - Jun 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I enjoy Phil almost as much as the games themselves. Would like to see him work with LeBron and I am not a Cavs fan. He clearly has the best players now on the Lakers but if he hangs it up we’ll all miss him in one way or another.

8. Mark - Jun 23, 2010 at 8:56 AM

so you want world peace (we’ve tried that and still trying), end world hunger (we’ve tried that and still trying), and have everyone a roof under their head (we’ve tried that and still trying)? Lets just worry if Phil will come back next year!

9. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlai - Jun 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Nooooooo! My Phil, please do not go! I want to start an intimate physical relationship with you! Please stay! I promise I will stop calling at 3 a.m.
    All you little boys who post here, I am magnanimous but do not test me or I shall school you!

10. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Learn to spell your own name you pathetic little boy.
    I love me. I am sorry I just yelled at me.
    Please, Phil, STAAAAYYYYYYYY!

11. Kathy - Jun 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I think Phil health is way more important then another season, Whatever He’s health problem maybe? I have not heard what that maybe as it’s not our business , Only him and hes family,
    If he comes back I hope he looks at hes team and realizes that a few players are not worthy of being on the team, Like Luke Walton is he only on the team because of his father??? You have to ask yourself that as Luke did nothing to help the Lakers. I question if he would be even on the team if it wasn’t for his pot smoking father who in his time wasn’t that great I can list a number of much better players. So let someone else on the team that truly has more talent and deserves the chance, Luke is wasted money.
    Good luck Phil with your Health Problems.As far as The team LIFE IS WAY TO SHORT TO NOT THINK OF QUITTING AND SPENDING QUALITY TIIME WITH YOUR FAMILY. YOU ARE ONE GREAT COACH BUT YOUR HEALTH AND FAMILY IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT,

12. Jeremy - Jun 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM

While Phil might be a great coach, he has ALWAYS had the best players in the NBA on his teams. Jordan, Kobe you have to admit that thoes 2 men are dramatic game changers..
    I would like to see how he does with a lesser caliber ” it ” man and actually build a team from scratch.

13. ocgunslinger - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Now if only you had a clue about basketball. I am sure the Lakers use a roster spot to placate a guy who never played for the Lakers. Do you realize how stupid that comment is????? Luke Walton was injured a lot of this past year. Regardless he knows the triangle offense and is a suburb passer in the triangle. He will never be the star but certainly is a valuable member of the Lakers bench.

14. You Ever Think? - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM

You ever think that the best players in the NBA became the best players because of his coaching?
    How many rings did Jordan have before Phil showed up? Oh yeah. 0.
    How many rings did Kobe and Shaq have before Phil showed up? Oh yeah. 0.
    They didn’t just grow unbelievable talent when Phil came to the team. They always had the talent, but needed the coaching to bring it to the championship level. After all, how many rings do Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson and Lebron James have all put together? Why 0.
    And how many years combine did they all play for Phil Jackson… Oh yeah… 0.
    Give the coach his credit.

15. vince - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Phil is 65. His kids are grown. He has made mega millions and if he REALLY wanted to spend time with his family , he could have done that 10 years ago

16. Dave Carver - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:34 AM

It’s called entertainment, which is a welcomed distraction from everything you just mentioned. Think bigger.

17. Bill S - Jun 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Why aren’t you overseas?

18. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Begone. You impostor who is me. I know you are a pathetic poser fake. I abhor you! But, I forgive you for I am magnanimous.
    I love My Phil. Phil may not go. I have so decreed. Phil must stay so that we may gaze at the sunsets together.
    Unless, of course, perhaps My Phil is retiring so he may spend greater hours with me! That is it! I cannot wait to meet him!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches