Jun 22, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
Hi, could I have a minute of your time today to discuss the good word of John Wall? He has game that makes maidens cry, birds sing, and honeycrisp apples grow out of season. He once made a pass to a cutter 75 miles away, and directed every episode of The Wire.
He has also has the kind of athleticism that makes NBA die-hards weak in the knees, a fact that was illustrated perfectly by ESPN’s Sport Science. Dan Steinberg of The Washington Post’s D.C. Sports Bog has the breakdown of the Sports Science video segment, featuring some impressive displays of Wall’s complete athletic package:
Host John Brenkus and his research types analyzed Wall’s speed and
vision with some tests, and then presented the results in luscious,
adoring and explicit slow-motion. Above is the speed segment, and below
is the vision segment. Among the highlights:
* In two steps Wall can accelerate to almost 50 percent of his top speed.
* The speed test measured Wall cutting around a cone to the basket.
Adding a basketball to the drill slowed him down by just 0.05 seconds.
* Wall runs faster while dribbling a basketball than Kevin Durant runs without a ball.
* In a straight sprint with no ball, Wall is faster than Chris Paul or Deron Williams.
It doesn’t mean a whole lot considering that Durant, Paul, and Williams are obviously far more valuable than their athletic skills alone. Still, with what we know about Wall’s vision, passing, driving ability, and defense, it’s nice to “quantify” his physical skills in a sense.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games