Jun 22, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:01 pm: Now the very well connected Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress is confirming that it looks like the Nets will now take Johnson No. 3. These were is tweets.
Wesley Johnson is moving up to 3, New Jersey, on
our next mock coming shortly. Told New Jersey will take him and go for a
PF in free agency.
Wes is the most ready guy and New Jersey wants to
be competitive next year. Favors does to Minnesota & compliments
Look for Minnesota to make a move though, possibly trading one of their big men (along with maybe unhappy point guard Jonny Flynn) to get some wing help they need.
12:30 pm: In anticipation of the draft, it’s been widely assumed that after the No.1 and No. 2 picks are used on John Wall and Evan Turner, the No. 3 would be used on either DeMarcus Cousins or Derrick Favors. Both provide very different looks, yet they have good skills and incredible potential. Favors and Cousins are almost universally considered the top bigs in the draft, and would fill a positional need for New Jersey. That’s why there’s one possibility that has yet to be really explored in the draft rumors: what if the Nets forgot about drafting a big man entirely, and drafted Syracuse’s Wesley Johnson?
According to Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Nets could be higher on Johnson than previously thought:
All along, the Wolves had planned to select Johnson at No. 4, and yet the New Jersey Nets are holding serious discussions about drafting the small forward and taking their chances with trying to sign a power forward in free agency. The Nets had long favored Derrick Favors, but are debating now about how long it will take for him to become a regular contributor. New Jersey is still contemplating DeMarcus Cousins, too.
Everything is still heavily in doubt at this point, and it could be that the Nets are simply doing their homework on Johnson. Nothing wrong with that, even if things end up going according to the original plan. That said, if Johnson ends up going to New Jersey somehow, it could end up being a saving grace for the Kings, Warriors, or Pistons. Even if those teams prefer to draft a small forward, the talent of Favors and Cousins is fairly remarkable. To have a talent like that drop a spot or two in the draft would be pretty substantial.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37