Jun 22, 2010, 9:57 PM EST
Do not adjust your computer screen. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the Los Angeles Lakers have taken a strong interest in free agent guard Raja Bell, with Kobe Bryant being one of Bell’s strongest advocates.
Bell is a “Three-and-D” guard who is best known for his physical brand of defense and his feud with Kobe Bryant when the Suns and Lakers met in the 2006 Playoffs. Bell and Bryant exchanged verbal and physical barbs with each other over the duration of the seven-game series, culminating in the pictured clothesline in game five.
When asked about Bell, Kobe Bryant said that he didn’t know who Raja Bell was, and continually referred to him as a “kid,” despite the fact Bell is actually older than Bryant. Bryant also said that Bell might not have received enough hugs growing up; after Suns won game seven of the series, Bell’s mother reportedly entered the Laker locker room and asked Bryant if he needed a hug.
All of that is apparently water under the bridge now, as the two players have developed a strong mutual respect for each other (deep down, they likely had the same respect for each other when they were enemies on the court), and both are very open to the idea of Bell joining the Lakers next season.
On the court, Bell would make a lot of sense for the Lakers, and could even take Derek Fisher’s spot in the starting lineup. With Bryant, Gasol, Artest, and Odom being the main playmakers in the triangle, all the Lakers really need their “point guard” to do is play physical defense, make open threes, and refrain from doing anything stupid. Bell excels in all three of those areas. One adjustment the Lakers would have to make if Bell took Fisher’s starting spot would be that while Fisher is a left-handed player and often drove to his strong hand, the right-handed Bell operates almost exclusively from the right side of the floor off the bounce.
If Kobe and Bell have really put their issues behind them, which it appears they have, this move would make a lot of sense for the Lakers.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld