Eddy Curry picks up player option, Knicks fans dream of a trade that won't happen.

Jun 22, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT

Knicks_logo.gifEddy Curry is now owed $11.2 million for next season — he picked up the player option. Like everyone sane knew he would, because where else is Curry going to make that money?

Of course, a few Knicks fans didn’t see that coming.  Now twitter and sports talk radio airwaves are filled with Knicks fans with a plan — someone who wants to take on Curry’s contract. Brilliant draft-day trades that net the Knicks a good pick and/or a good player.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Near the trade deadline you may be able to find a team that would take the salary dump. Right now, every team holds out some level of hope for next year. Nobody will take on $11 million contract of a guy who has been basically out a couple years with an injury and is not expected to give you anything this season. Not now. Not with hope in the air.

Curry said he would be open to a buyout, according to the Daily News. I would be open to being given a Lamborghini. About the same likelihood.

1. Matt - Jun 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM

“Nobody will take on $11 million contract of a guy who has been basically out a couple years”
    Golden state just traded for:
    Dan Gadzuric $7,243,750
    Charlie Bell $3,844,000
    $11 million to sit the bench/expire just to get rid of a contract.

2. terry - Jun 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Matt – I never heard of either one of those guys you mentioned. Not that that is a big deal, but those figures are absurd, not that I challenge them, but (here’s the point) the money these guys make is absurd. It’s not that the market won’t bear it, it’s just that it is absurd.
    I used to go to NBA games back in the early 70s when I lived in Boston, and I used to go to Sox games – I remember the fall of 1972 when I would go to Fenway pay $2 go sit in the bleachers, other people would show up and we’d all get a buzz on. No harm no foul. I remember Reggie Jackson turning around and looking at us for a second.
    In April of 1970 I was in San Francisco and there was a show at the Fillmore West – Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, and The Grateful Dead. The show started at 8 and ended up at 4 the next morning. The name of the program was – Three Bands For Three Dollars.
    I kid you NOT.
    FYI – I am a Certified Old Fart. I used to be just an old fart but I got my certification papers in the mail just a few days ago.
    I am SO unworthy.
    afn&tt

3. Jaime - Jun 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

In addition to the bucks trade that Matt mentioned, you could probably include the Dalembert trade as well. Kings took on Dalembert bc he had 1 year left on his contract and gave up Hawes and Nocioni.
    There are options this off-season to dump Curry and the Knicks will probably be able to do it.
    Hornets and Warriors are the top teams looking to dump.

4. Naveen - Jun 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

A team like the Hornets would take Eddy Curry’s contract to get rid of Emeka Okafor’s. The team is constantly in the red and is trying to be sold. The current owner has been trying to make this team profitable to make the selling price higher. Dumping 4 years and 52 million for one year 11 million would go a long way towards that.

5. realistic - Jun 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Curry will be traded before the season starts. Book it. Teams in finacial trouble would love to have Curry’s contract off their books next year. I agree that it would be more probable that he is traded by the trade deadline next season, but to rule it out as impossible is moronic on this writer’s part. Sports reporting isnt your forte buddy.

6. New New York - Jun 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Ummm….New Jersey traded away talent for expiring contracts at this exact time last year! So did Golden State. How about the deal that brought Zach Randolph to NY or the one that sent him to Memphis? All draft night trades that involved expiring deals. Not sure what crazy trades my fellow Knick fans might be drawing up that leads you to beleive that this is an impossibility…but it is not at all far fetched that a team with a long term contract that they are trying to move takes on a shorter one.
    Now is a trade imminent….Heck No! but it could happen.

7. KnicksTweets - Jun 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Crazy to think Eddy Curry can be a productive member of the Knicks this year? Contract year, basically broke…gotta be motivated.
    KnicksTweets

8. bNo - Jun 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM

i hope you witness you family dying in front of your eyes and it’s all your fault because you refuse to quit
    good day, die in fire, i’m going to eat your soul

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches