Jun 22, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
No real surprise here, we’ve been expecting this for a couple months, but now it is official:
John Salmons is going to opt out and test the free agent market. That’s what the Bucks general manager told FanHouse’s Chris Tomasson.
“He’s given us indications that he will opt out,” Milwaukee general manager John Hammond, named NBA Executive of Year in part because of last February’s acquisition of Salmons from Chicago, said in an interview Tuesday with FanHouse…
“He plans to do it (the paperwork to opt out) on the last day (June 30),” Hammond said. “So we can continue to have discussions.’..’
“We’d love to have him back,” Hammond said of Salmons, whose Bucks went 20-8 after the guard first played following his February acquisition from the Bulls. “And he knows it.”
But there are a lot of teams that will have interest in Salmons, a quality two-way two guard who may not be elite but is just a notch below. Combined with a good point guard in both Milwaukee and Chicago, Salmons put up god numbers and helped lead a team to the playoffs.
This move, however, will mean the end of the annual tradition of Salmons being traded right before the deadline to a team fighting for a playoff spot. Disappointing. Kind of like telling a kid there is no Santa.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30