Jun 22, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
No real surprise here, we’ve been expecting this for a couple months, but now it is official:
John Salmons is going to opt out and test the free agent market. That’s what the Bucks general manager told FanHouse’s Chris Tomasson.
“He’s given us indications that he will opt out,” Milwaukee general manager John Hammond, named NBA Executive of Year in part because of last February’s acquisition of Salmons from Chicago, said in an interview Tuesday with FanHouse…
“He plans to do it (the paperwork to opt out) on the last day (June 30),” Hammond said. “So we can continue to have discussions.’..’
“We’d love to have him back,” Hammond said of Salmons, whose Bucks went 20-8 after the guard first played following his February acquisition from the Bulls. “And he knows it.”
But there are a lot of teams that will have interest in Salmons, a quality two-way two guard who may not be elite but is just a notch below. Combined with a good point guard in both Milwaukee and Chicago, Salmons put up god numbers and helped lead a team to the playoffs.
This move, however, will mean the end of the annual tradition of Salmons being traded right before the deadline to a team fighting for a playoff spot. Disappointing. Kind of like telling a kid there is no Santa.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 8
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record