Jun 21, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
The Houston Rockets want some more players.
They have some talent — what they really need is a healthy Yao Ming for an entire season — but you can never have enough guys to put around their star.
According to the Houston Chronicle, General Manager Daryl Morey has been looking to move up out of the 14 spot and into the top 10. There are some quality big men in this draft and the Rockets could use some depth up front, but they would like need to move up to get one who can really contribute a lot fast. There are a few teams that are listening to trade offers, just depends on what you are offering.
Morey is one of those GMs who likes to move on draft day — he has the last two years, he likely will do it again this year.
But he also takes the smart approach to the draft — get the best player, don’t just draft for need.
“At 14, we’re trying to identify what’s the best talent available,” vice president of player personnel Gersson Rosas said. “We try to stay away from just picking for need or picking based on what the market says. We want to identify the best talent. We don’t want to leave talent on the table after we pick.
“I think you feel the pain of need through this process, but you don’t want to ever make the decision based on need. As we look back at the draft, the mistakes that have been made in this league are made primarily because we let the pain of need supersede the talent that might be available.
“We know the roster changes very quickly. Wings might be a position of strength right now. With a busy offseason ahead, we might make moves, and the depth at that position might be gone. We try not to let our roster affect it at all.”
Sometimes fans don’t get it, but that is how you build a good team — you get the best players then find a way to get them to fit. Talent is still king.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70