Jun 19, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
“Big Sofo will be travelling to Los Angeles to meet with the administration of the LA Clippers. The Clippers own his rights in the NBA, selected in the 2nd round (34th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft. Schortsanitis already has tickers to L.A. and the Clippers notified Olympiakos of their invitation to the player.It wasn’t necessary though because Schortsanitis will be a free agent at the end of this month when his contract ends. The article says that the Clippers are not going to use him in the Las Vegas Summer League team unless he signs with them first. Another source says that they are already planning to show him some houses where he can stay in LA.”
D.J. Foster of ClipperBlog had some thoughts about what this report means for the Clipper organization:
It seemed like it would never happen, but it appears Sofo may finally end up in a Los Angeles Clippers uniform after seven years of playing over seas. The timing looks right — the Clippers have only five players on contract and need bodies to fill out the roster. Sofo turns 25 in a few days and is in the best shape of his life and is playing the best basketball of his career. If there were ever a time for him to test the NBA waters and see if he can hack it, it’s now.
“Baby Shaq” has obviously been on the radar screens of NBA scouts for quite some time now, but it looked like Sofo’s weight problems and the fact he was content to play in Greece would keep him from ever playing in the same league as the original Shaq. Now Sofo is at a svelte 315 pounds, is coming off a Greek league championship run, and may finally be ready to test his skills against the (metaphorical) big boys. And for those of you keeping score at home, there is a very good chance that the 2nd overall pick of the 2003 Draft will be out of the league before the 34th overall draft enters it.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte