Jun 19, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
Former NBA player Manute Bol has reportedly passed away due to acute kidney failure and skin disease. He was just 47 years old, but Bol will forever be immortalized in NBA lore.
Manute wasn’t exactly one of the league’s biggest stars, but he was one of its biggest stars. His long, lanky frame drew plenty of attention, and inspired one of the NBA’s most excellent photos. Still, he’ll forever be known in NBA circles as far more than a player; it’s Bol’s humanitarian efforts in Sudan that made him a giant, not his 7’6” listing or his impressive blocked shot averages.
Bol was a class act, and while it’s sad to lose a member of the extended NBA family, it’s far worse for the world to be without Manutel’s selflessness and commitment to improving the lives of the Sudanese people.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43