Jun 18, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
Allen Iverson was supposed to be through.
After a season where he had significant trouble finding a willing team to take him on, only to settle with Memphis, then ditch Memphis when things didn’t go his way, then headed to Philly where he was largely ineffectual, then leaving the team due to significant health problems with his daughter, the Answer was supposed to have been answered. The game was up, time to move on.
But not ti looks like we may be looking at another season of turnovers and ill-advised jumpshots as we watch his legacy fall further and further into nothingness.
Iverson’s personal manager told the AP that he was working out and that he will “absolutely” try to play next year.
This, quite honestly is not a good idea.
Iverson’s ability to contribute was always built on ISO scoring sets where he would do something amazing. But age has robbed him of his quickness and speed, and the jumpshot is broken in such an amazing fashion that the rim is actually considering suing him for break of contract. This latest comeback idea is simply not advisable. The fates have directed him to call it a career. And while getting that last ring would put an ample positive stamp on his career, no contending team is going to have a need for an aging undersized shooting guard masquerading as a point guard that can’t pass and demands a starting job.
Those just really aren’t in high demand. Iverson’s drive and will to compete are admirable. But even in a year with so many suitors with loads of cash, you have to wonder if Iverson will end up at the bottom of the bargain pile again.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 74
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32