Jun 18, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Let’s just focus on the L.A. Lakers players with retired numbers. There are seven, and all are Hall of Famers as well:• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar• Elgin Baylor• Wilt Chamberlain• Gail Goodrich• Magic Johnson• Jerry West• James WorthyLet’s also assume that Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal will eventually see their jerseys raised to the rafters. That’s two more Hall of Famers, a standard that Fisher certainly falls far short of…It’s certainly remarkable, sitting here on championship night, to think that Derek Fisher’s number 2 might not be retired. I’d argue that 28 other teams would do so in a heartbeat…Yet it’s also hard to believe that, if Derek Fisher is worthy of being immortalized by Laker Nation, that at least Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and Jamaal Wilkes, and possibly A.C. Green, aren’t equally deserving of the honor. I guess that’s why it’s probably good to wait a few years for a different historical perspective, and to get away from the emotion of the championship moment.
Anyone who has watched the Lakers win these past five titles will always remember the contributions made by Derek Fisher. What’s left to decide now is whether his jersey should be hung up and his exploits be made required knowledge for the next generation of Laker fans. Derek Fisher has earned as much respect as any NBA player to ever wear sneakers. Only time will tell if he deserves glory as well.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18