Jun 18, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Let’s just focus on the L.A. Lakers players with retired numbers. There are seven, and all are Hall of Famers as well:• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar• Elgin Baylor• Wilt Chamberlain• Gail Goodrich• Magic Johnson• Jerry West• James WorthyLet’s also assume that Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal will eventually see their jerseys raised to the rafters. That’s two more Hall of Famers, a standard that Fisher certainly falls far short of…It’s certainly remarkable, sitting here on championship night, to think that Derek Fisher’s number 2 might not be retired. I’d argue that 28 other teams would do so in a heartbeat…Yet it’s also hard to believe that, if Derek Fisher is worthy of being immortalized by Laker Nation, that at least Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and Jamaal Wilkes, and possibly A.C. Green, aren’t equally deserving of the honor. I guess that’s why it’s probably good to wait a few years for a different historical perspective, and to get away from the emotion of the championship moment.
Anyone who has watched the Lakers win these past five titles will always remember the contributions made by Derek Fisher. What’s left to decide now is whether his jersey should be hung up and his exploits be made required knowledge for the next generation of Laker fans. Derek Fisher has earned as much respect as any NBA player to ever wear sneakers. Only time will tell if he deserves glory as well.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25