Ron Artest mythology may soon have a life of its own

Jun 18, 2010, 12:35 PM EST

Tales of Ron Artest’s zany exploits are hardly new to the NBA scene, but it seems that now that he’s a certified NBA champion, they’ll spiral brilliantly out of control. In the best possible way, of course.

After a relatively quiet season for all things Ron, Artest busted out everything that makes him so endearing in full force for this year’s playoffs. The Legend of Ron has gone to Queensbridge and back, and with the Finals wrapped, TMZ has one more anecdote to add to your Artest library:

After having the game of his life — and winning the NBA Championship — Los Angeles Lakers hero Ron Artest wasn’t in the mood to celebrate with Mickey Mouse last night .. telling us, “I’d rather go to Compton.”

If you missed the game last night, Ron played so well, that Phil Jackson called him the MVP of the night … and after the game, Ron was so excited — DUDE WORE HIS ENTIRE UNIFORM OUT TO DINNER with his family!

Somehow I’m not shocked in the slighest, just delighted that Artest is quickly becoming a tall tale. 25 years from now, we’ll recall that Ron was really ten feet tall with arms the size of tree trunks, one of L.A.’s premier cupcake chefs, and moonlighted in drag as the prima donna of the L.A. Opera. I remember it like it was yesterday.

1. Omnius - Jun 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Ron Artest may have played his best last night during his post conference presser as he was nothing short of hilarious, in a good way. His comedian’s act sure came as a surprise as he finally had a drink after staying away from alcohol since December. His happy tipsy act was just plain funny and I think it endeared him to us Laker fans even more than his gritty play last night as game 7’s hero. I’m already looking forward to Ron Ron’s antics next year as he helps the Lakers ThreePeat! Can’t wait to see his next post Finals victory presser a year from now give or take a few days one way or the other. Thanks Ron Artest for helping the Lakers beat the Celtics for our 16th Title! Thank You Mitch Kupchak for making the perfect trade that gave the Lakers the edge in beating Boston and gaining us Lakers Fans victory in the Sweet Revenge Series!

2. LakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLake - Jun 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Is there anyone cooler than Ron-Ron?

3. LakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLakersLake - Jun 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Is there anyone cooler than Ron-Ron?

4. SFWA - Jun 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I’m a guy that’s seen the NBA since the 60’s. Ron is one of those dudes that goes from goat to hero to goat to hero more than anyone I can remember AND is loved for his “this is who I am” attitude. He reminds me of Rod Tidwell…”I’m all heart mutha-fukka”. Go Ron_Ron go!!

5. Leo - Jun 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Hey Trevor how is Huston now baby, lol. I guess you prefer all the respect your getting for the same pay you would have gotten from LA. Minus the playoff checks and less all the marketing deals Ron Ron will get instead of you. That was to dumbest decision I’ve ever seen a player make. Was it yours or your agents? Enjoy the next few years in Texas, at least you got a ring from last year. Well I guess everything is bigger in Texas that’s why TA’s ego will fit right in.

6. tejano2k - Jun 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM

No need to bash Ariza. He played great for LA while he was there. I wish LA could have kept him. Free Agency is what it is. HE would have LOST $$$ if he had stayed and waited for LA to chop him off the roster. He became expendable when Artest decided to go to LA. Ron-ron paid off when it came time to do so. He was brought in for a moment like this.
    The key was that LA got Artest at a LOWER price than what would have been a fair price for keeping Ariza. According to Marc Stein (ESPN Senior Writer)… “The Lakers effectively declared that they preferred to have Artest — older, physical, more versatile but also famously unpredictable — at a lower price than the 6-foot-8 Ariza, who reached new levels of reliability as a defender, shooter and glue guy in the postseason. Ariza shot 49.7 percent from the field and 47.6 percent on 3-pointers in the postseason in 31.4 minutes per game, after averaging just 24.4 minutes per game during the regular season.”

7. Frank - Jun 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Its not Ariza’s fault. Players don’t make trades, the front office does. Either way, I’m happy for Ron.

8. E-Flo - Jun 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Lakers will NOT 3-Peat..It is time for another team to shine..I’m sick of seeing the same ol’ thing every year

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches