Jun 18, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
The Associated Press is reporting that Phil Jackson was congratulated on his 11th championship by a very satisfied NBA fan yesterday — President Barack Obama.
Obama, a longtime basketball fan, called Jackson from The White House on Friday, congratulating Jackson on the win and telling him that the series was worthy of the rivalry between the Lakers and the Celtics. Obama also told Jackson that he looked forward to congratulating the players in person at the White House.
To provide some perspective on just how long Jackson has been on top of the coaching heap, Obama was graduating from law school around the time Jackson won his first championship with Obama’s hometown Chicago Bulls.
- Hawks take a 2-1 series lead over top-seeded Pacers 0
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 44
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 48
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 10
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 26
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld