Jun 18, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
There’s a surreality to the tone of championship teams. Even after five titles, Kobe still appears stunned that he’s reached the summit again. Phil Jackson, with 11 rings (one for the pinky toe?) still seems like the entire experience is odd. Oddly in the video below, it’s only Pau Gasol who seems nonplussed.
And of course, what Finals press conference would be complete without an athlete saying something completely out of place?
Kobe Bryant, fresh off a huge win over the Celtics in a game where he shot 6 of 24 from field with 4 turnovers (and 15 rebounds and huge free throws down the stretch), responded to a question in a way that only the divisive shooting guard can. Unprompted, when asked about what this one means to him, he replied “I just got one more than Shaq. So you can take that to the bank.”
The rift between those two has been carried out in such classy ways.
But hey, it’s Bryant’s time to shine, and if he wants to rub it in, that’s his prerogative. Watch for yourself:
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 12
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24