Jun 18, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
There’s a surreality to the tone of championship teams. Even after five titles, Kobe still appears stunned that he’s reached the summit again. Phil Jackson, with 11 rings (one for the pinky toe?) still seems like the entire experience is odd. Oddly in the video below, it’s only Pau Gasol who seems nonplussed.
And of course, what Finals press conference would be complete without an athlete saying something completely out of place?
Kobe Bryant, fresh off a huge win over the Celtics in a game where he shot 6 of 24 from field with 4 turnovers (and 15 rebounds and huge free throws down the stretch), responded to a question in a way that only the divisive shooting guard can. Unprompted, when asked about what this one means to him, he replied “I just got one more than Shaq. So you can take that to the bank.”
The rift between those two has been carried out in such classy ways.
But hey, it’s Bryant’s time to shine, and if he wants to rub it in, that’s his prerogative. Watch for yourself:
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 4
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 24
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 55
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 34
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now 37
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (55)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (44)