NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 7: Boston closed their eyes and it slipped away

Jun 18, 2010, 1:51 AM EDT

Garnett_sad.jpgIt’s a very bitter taste for a team that remembers the sweet taste of champagne.

It’s made worse by knowing that they had a 13-point lead in the third quarter. Worse by knowing that this team may never be together in this form again. Worse by knowing that Ray Allen went 3 for 14 in what likely will be his final game in a Celtics uniform.

Worse because for the first time this playoffs, Boston actually looked old.

“Well, there was a lot of crying in our locker room, a lot of people who care…” Doc Rivers said after an 83-79 loss at a game played right at the Celtics pace. “I just can’t stress enough how crazy close this team was, you know, and that would be the word, crazy close. They’re the type of group that they could scream at each other but no one picks on any of them. That’s a special group.”

They played special at the start. Boston came out playing physically on defense, taking away the Lakers primary options, forcing the Lakers to shoot 22 percent in the first quarter. Kobe Bryant wanted desperately to put his imprint on the game and the Celtics had a game plan to take the ball out of his hands. Boston trapped him, they pushed him off his spots, they gave him no space and he shot 1 for 7 in the first quarter. And Boston was up 9 after one.

That defensive effort continued through the third quarter, and the fans Staples were on edge. It wasn’t pretty, and the Celtics were fine with that. The Lakers would make a mini-run and the Celtics would make a couple stops, a couple baskets and re-establish themselves. Boston was the better team. They were getting some transition points and they were up 13.

But the size of the Lakers kept wearing on a Boston team that missed Kendrick Perkins.

“I thought the lack of size at the end of the of the day was the difference in the game,” Rivers said. “I thought a couple things hurt us – when Rasheed started getting cramps, that was killer for us because they attacked out lack of size after that, and then it made me, forced me to extend Kevin (Garnett’s) minutes, which I know is not good.”

Pau Gasol, “befuddled” by Rasheed Wallace in the first half (to use Phil Jackson’s term), started to come to life. The Lakers were making their big run. Boston could no longer run its offense through the post because the Celtics big men were too tired to be effective, Rivers said.

So when Boston needed points, they turned to Allen. And he missed. The guy that won them Game 2 with his shooting was 3 of 14 on the night, 2 of 5 in the fourth quarter. Missing at the rim and from three.

It may well be Allen’s last game as a Celtic (although he said he wants to be back), he is an unrestricted free agent this summer and other teams are likely to pay more than a Boston team that needs to start getting younger. It was an ugly way to go out, looking old.

“It’s hard to see it end this way,” Allen said.

It wasn’t just Allen, either.

“You know, it’s the fist time all year that you can actually say at the end of the day we were old because at the end of the game because we didn’t have enough bodies,” Rivers said, referring to Perkins. “I thought it hurt us.”

It hurt them a lot. To the point of tears.

105 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

And I shall also school you about my love for men. I love Kobe Bryant and I want him to be my lover forever. While I do live in my parents’ basement eating Cheetos and playing on my xBox, I love to fantasize about my great Kobe.
    To anyone who speaks to Foul Dwimmerlaik, you are all pervert posers and please remember that I do have a mental disorder and I like to speak to myself on this board. It is sort of a Cybil meets Revenge Of the Nerds thing I have going here, so please allow me to vent at myself. I am validating my point.
    To the Celtics fans, again I say you blow big booger beans. Ha ha ha. My Kobe will sleep only with me. So, there, I have schooled you all! Schooled! Schooled!
    For now, I have to get back to being the King of the Hobbits and pursuing my physical relationships with Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant. You may continue to use me. I am magnanimous in that respect. I like to be used. Meatballs!

2. the REALLY REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Oh no no no no no you don’t. I am schooling you/me once again. Pretty badly as you can tell by how many times you/I posted the same thing. You are not my equal and I have used my name handle as I talk to myself again. And I am enjoying myself as you make a dumbass of me who is myself.
    Toadcicles!

3. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

GO LAKERS! ONWARD AND UPWARD to a three-peat. That being me, Phil and Kobe, all three of us all going onward and upward with each other! (If you know what I mean!) Yes?
    Ha! Schooled again! Magnanimous soul that I am and I let you use my name handle. My speech pattern is certainly superior to yours and therefore the little boys on this board know who I am. I am not me as you say I am. I am my own me, not you.

4. Qman - Jun 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM

KOBE IS AN ACCUSED RAPIST who paid off his wife and accuser. I think we all know who the jerk is

5. Westgate - Jun 23, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Tanginamo hindot ka. Bobo. Bwakananginamo. Supot. Pukinanginamo abnoy ka. Ano, sagutin mo ako bobo ka. Punta ka ng LA at yari ka rito.

6. Westgate - Jun 23, 2010 at 4:00 AM

What a pathetic loser. You are in dire need of attention, yes? I have given the affirmative action that you need by reacting to your post. Carry on fool. You sound like a jilted groupie. HAHAHA!!!

7. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 23, 2010 at 9:51 AM

You, sir, are why I exist. I have schooled you!
    Uka uka. Shama lamba ding dong. Narca daloopa stinka crappa! Igo naphalajunga racka big tits igga sackowajea estonarbagalong!
    Ha ha! You have been schooled!
    Te o toriatte konomama ikō Aisuruhito yo Shizuka na yoi ni Hikari o tomoshi Itoshiki oshie o idak
    As to why I talk to myself, from time to time I need to school myself. I often act badly and I need to correct it.
    Thank you for your concern.

8. Koji - Jun 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Bakero. Your attempt at Japanese is an insult to us. Go and just use your gutterlanguage.
    Tsk,tsk,tsk….

9. shrek the Laker fan - Jun 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Yeah extinction. End of a short era and useless piece of @@@@ 2 me. Boston sucks. What Paul Pierce gona do now. He said he won’t be back in LA no more. Might as well stay in Boston with the Dinosaurs.

10. Stryker - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:42 AM

You’re right. After seven games in a seven-game-series, people did see who is the better team — and it’s certainly not the Celtics. After Game 5, the Celtics WERE TWICE TO BEAT when all they had to do was just win one more. Take your lumps just like Hackpiper did (there are still classy Celtics fans around, you know) and give credit where credit is due.

11. Johnny - Jun 24, 2010 at 6:22 AM

This game was 100% fixed. There is no question about it.
    In the 4th Qtr the Celtics were called for 12 fouls, 11 of those resulted in the Lakers shooting 21 free throws. For a 91.7% success rate of fouls leading to free throws. This was not only the RECORD for 1 qtr in the 2008 & 2010 NBA FInals between the Lakers & The Celtics. It was also the RECORD for the entire 2010 NBA Playoffs. No other qtr in the entire 2010 NBA Playoffs had a team being called for 12 fouls.
    Pau Gasol alone commited 5 violations that were not called, and got another 3 bailouts from the refs that were the wrong calls also, for 8 CALLS IN THE 4TH QTR that were wrong ALL INVOLVING PAU GASOL.
    11:43:Refs call a bogus foul on Glen Davis and bail Gasol out giving him an And-1
    11:07:Gasol bailed out again by refs on fake loose ball foul on Glen Davis.
    6:54:Gasol has his foot on the ball while out of bounds, refs give ball to Lakers.
    4:38:Gasol gets bailed out by the refs giving a foul on Garnett when no foul was commited.
    2:47:Gasol travels it isn’t called, then gets bailed out by the refs with a fake foul on Garnett.
    2:19:Gasol commits an 8 second violation, check the box score. He grabbed the rebound at 2:28, got fouled at half court at 2:19, yet no 8 second violation was called. 2:28-1:19 is 9 seconds.
    1:30:Gasol up and down travel, not called given a basket by the refs.
    0:26 Gasol knocks down Rondo, no foul called, gets an offensive rebound.
    And that doesn’t include other fixed calls from the game.
    1.Rondo’s layup taken away on a fake foul on Garnett.
    2.Garnett’s basket not counting after getting fouled by Kobe.
    3.Garnett fouled by Gasol, called a block.
    4.Pierce getting knocked down, no call.
    5.Pierce fake foul on Artest and 1.
    12 foul calls with 11 resulting in free throws, more than any other qtr in the 2010 NBA playoffs, more than any other qtr in the 2008 or 2010 NBA Finals.
    100% fixed.
    Celtics should be awarded the championship by this time next year. When enough information comes out how this game was 100% rigged.

12. the REAL Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

E chow nooki knooki!
    You have been schooled!

13. Qman - Jun 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’m with you man.I have my doubts as well. People will say its sour grapes and all but just look at the facts and the history of how the NBA operates. it’s all there. Also, do people really think Tim Daneghy was the only ref on the take?
    The NBA wanted a Lakers/ Celtics final and they got it. (Just ask Orlando, Phoenix and Cleveland fans)
    The NBA wanted the Lakers to win. If you look at it game by game the one sided calling of the referrees was not only suspicious but downright insulting to anyone who watches the game
    Suddenly when fans were complaigning after the first 2 games the refs weren’t so strict anymore, yet they still found a way to send the Lakers to line 4 TIMES more than the Celtics over the course of the series.
    The NBA wanted a game 7 and they got a game 7. How about the travel and TV schedule? 4 days off between games 1 and 2 but 1 day off between ganes 5 and 6? Of course the Celtics were flat in game 6. They Lakers ahd the advantage because they were back in there time zone and home court
    Why people choose to promote and glorify an accused RAPIST is also beyond me. He paid off his accuser and his wife because he didn’t want the truth to come out. He’s a coward and a loser as a person. LA fans should be ashamed of themselves and should have booted Kobe out of town for what he did. That’s why LA is so phony and no I wouldn’t want him on my team no matter how good he is. I have morals
    I don’t care how I get flamed from the ignorant LA fans, you are blinded by your victory – Johnny you are RIGHT ON brother

14. randy - Jun 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Celtic fans like to assert their team’s special divinity when they win and especially through the rear view mirror of the 1960′s. Different story when your team loses. I know its painful to see the Lakers prevail, but show some class Celtic nation. The Lakers won the championship with talent, heart and guts. You know, those fine qualities that you like to pretend are exclusive to Celtic teams. Quit whining endlessly about refs, injuries, and conspiracies. It diminishes your team legacy. The better team won. Boston was the better team in 2008 and your fan base was eager to hammer the so called “Fakers” for not being tough enough. You just witnessed the Laker response on the court where it matters. I hope you dream about Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Sasha, and Kobe every night for the next decade. Ok, maybe just another month!

15. georgio - Jun 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I agree with posts #1 and #3, Boston has a bunch of poor sports, just the way they acted on the court during the finals, but, that’s typical of boston and their town.

16. Kobe's Destiny, Jr. - Jun 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM

That’s right, go make a fool of yourself. It’s quite clear that your cranium cavity is in the posterior end of your alimentary canal. By trying to mimic your target, it’s obvious that you’ve been schooled by this person, hence your bitter tirade across the board.
    Carry on, fool. And thank you as well. Your actuation is validation enough for me and a testament to what we knew all along. So whimper and die with envy as Kobe gets his fifth ring.
    Here’s a tip: Keep on reacting to my posts. Trust a doofus to bite the bait. BOBO. Samad ulo. BWAHAHAHA! You’re such a pussy, whippersnapper!

17. Kobe's Destiny, Jr - Jun 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Yes! I see by your silence in your cranium cavity that you have been schooled by me, a superior in every way! Do not mimic me for I shall reduce you to a pile of virtual alimentary canal dust. Ha Ha!
    Those who react to my posts shall feel the sting of my retorts slash across their faces. You shall bite my bait and eat the worm that is my intelligence! You are a all little whippersnappers pussy boys!
    Ye shall all succumb to me! For I am Kobe’s Destiny, Jr. and all incarnations of Foul Dwimmerlaik and I rule the land in my mind! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

18. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Carry on fool. I am validated as much as actuated. And often inundated with exculpated repatriated sinew-like strength.
    I cannot be mimicked for I am all knowing and powerful. YOu are a testament to what I know as a fact: that I am Foul Dwimmerlaik, King of the Hobbits.
    Ha ha! Get schooled much? Blarney!

19. Koji - Jun 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Schooled? Haha. Hardly. I get a kick out of toying with neanderthals like you.
    Anata wa, chōshoku, baka dokuji no inkei o tabe masu.
    Bakero. Oroka na gaikoku-jin. Haha.

20. Kobe's Destiny, Jr. - Jun 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM

You’re no King of Hobbits.
    You’re just a sniveling troll. Ahihihi…

21. WOWIMSHOCKED - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM

GEE JOHNNY, WHATS IT LIKE GOING THRU LIFE WITH BLINDERS ON, IT SEEMS YOU LIKE TO USE STATISTICS, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE GREATLY SQUED TO YUR TEAMS BENEFIT, LOOK THE REFFING WAS RIDICULOUS I ADMIT, BUT FOR YOU TO SAY THE LAKERS WERE GIVEN THIS GAME MAKES YOU OUT TO BE NOT ONLY A MORON BUT A BLIND ONE AT THAT, THROUGH OUT THIS SERIES ALL GAMES THE REFS DID THIER DAMNDEST TO HAND THE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER TO THE FELTSICKS. I AM NOT GOING TO BOTHER GOING THRU YOUR LIST OF NO CALLS AND FAKE FOULS BECAUSE IF I DID ID HAVE TO LIST EVERYGAME IN THE SERIES CASE IN POINT HOW MANY TIMES DID THE BALL GO OUT OF BOUNDS OFF A CELTIC PLAYER AND THE BALL STILL WENT TO THE CELTICS (THIS INFAMOUS GARNETS HAND IN FRONT OF GASOL)AS FOR CHEATING CMON A REF WAS RIGHT THERE FOR THE RONDO GRABBING ODOM ARM “NO FOUL” OR THE GARNET MOVING PICKS THRUOUT THE SERIES OR THE DAVIS HOLDIGN ONTO GASOLS JERSY THRU MOST OF THE NIGHT SO AGAIN DONT WHINE ITS BENEATH YOU, ONE CASE IN POINT IN THE 4TH THE REASON THE LAKERS WENT TO THE FREE THROW LINE IS BECAUSE THE CELTICS STOPPED PLAYING AND GOT FRUSTRATED WITH THE LAKERS DEFENSE SMOTHERING THEM (NOT FOULING) JUST DEFENDING, AND THE LAKERS WOULD TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOOP AND GET FOULED, JUST FOR THE RECORD, RASHEED SHOULD HAVE FOULED OUT HALF WAY THRU THE FOURTH AND PIERCE SHOULD HAVE ALSO SO LETS DROP THE CONSPIRACY AND CREDIT BOTH TEAMS FOR PLAYING HARD AND GIVING US A GREAT SERIES

22. Kobe's Destiny, Jr - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I am King! I am truth! Those who oppose me feel my sharp retorts! I am the REAL King of the Hobbits as I am one with all of those who are one with me. I toy with ALL Neanderthals! Toy! Toy! Toy!
    Weegi nooga te ako nookie nookie flagellataka o caca muchie buttload!
    Ha ha ha! 教育される Me likey!

23. Koji - Jun 30, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Yeah. And we own the company that pays your parents’ boss. Coz we got education and you don’t.

24. Koji - Jun 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

LOL! You told me to be educated in a nice/formal way using your pathetic attempt at Japanese. Stupid guy using babelfish not knowing that there are hidden cultural contexts not seen in direct translation.
    Bakero.
    The other person said it right. You are a troll. A stupid troll at that.
    Oroka na torōru.

25. kdj - Jun 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

once a troll always a troll… hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview