Jun 18, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
It’s not always easy for a prospect to create legitimate buzz this close to the draft, but Maryland’s Greivis Vasquez seems to be doing just that. After weeks of draft speculation put Vasquez as a mid second-rounder, he could be climbing out of the first round entirely to nab one of the first round’s prized guaranteed contracts.
Draft Express’ mock draft recently had Vasquez as low as No. 50 overall, but currently lists him in the No. 28 slot. That’s a hell of a jump to make this late in the game, and it’s even more interesting considering that according to Jeff Barker of the Baltimore Sun, Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft next week (via Mike Prada of SB Nation DC):
Former Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft at Madison Square Garden in New York. His agent, Herb Rudoy, said today that Vasquez won’t be sitting with
John Wall, Evan Turner and the other projected lottery picks. Those
guys are draft royalty. They sit at tables in the equivalent of an
orchestra pit before the stands begin.
Unless he changes his mind about attending, Vasquez will sit with the second wave of players in the first few rows of stands. Vasquez is projected in many mock drafts as a second-rounder. He and Rudoy say he could go in the first round. Rudoy said today he’s hoping that the Garden invitation could
indicate that someone with the league has some positive information
about interest in Vasquez. But the agent doesn’t know that for sure.
The invite could simply be the league trying to put some of the bigger names of the second round in-house (and Vasquez certainly qualifies) for photo ops and the like. Or it could mean that there is legitimate first round interest in the combo guard’s services. Or there’s always the chance that it means absolutely nothing at all. Still, strange things are afoot with Vasquez’s draft stock, and the move to make him a part of draft night seems a bit too coincidental.
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 4
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)