Jun 18, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
It’s not always easy for a prospect to create legitimate buzz this close to the draft, but Maryland’s Greivis Vasquez seems to be doing just that. After weeks of draft speculation put Vasquez as a mid second-rounder, he could be climbing out of the first round entirely to nab one of the first round’s prized guaranteed contracts.
Draft Express’ mock draft recently had Vasquez as low as No. 50 overall, but currently lists him in the No. 28 slot. That’s a hell of a jump to make this late in the game, and it’s even more interesting considering that according to Jeff Barker of the Baltimore Sun, Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft next week (via Mike Prada of SB Nation DC):
Former Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft at Madison Square Garden in New York. His agent, Herb Rudoy, said today that Vasquez won’t be sitting with
John Wall, Evan Turner and the other projected lottery picks. Those
guys are draft royalty. They sit at tables in the equivalent of an
orchestra pit before the stands begin.
Unless he changes his mind about attending, Vasquez will sit with the second wave of players in the first few rows of stands. Vasquez is projected in many mock drafts as a second-rounder. He and Rudoy say he could go in the first round. Rudoy said today he’s hoping that the Garden invitation could
indicate that someone with the league has some positive information
about interest in Vasquez. But the agent doesn’t know that for sure.
The invite could simply be the league trying to put some of the bigger names of the second round in-house (and Vasquez certainly qualifies) for photo ops and the like. Or it could mean that there is legitimate first round interest in the combo guard’s services. Or there’s always the chance that it means absolutely nothing at all. Still, strange things are afoot with Vasquez’s draft stock, and the move to make him a part of draft night seems a bit too coincidental.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?