Jun 18, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
It’s not always easy for a prospect to create legitimate buzz this close to the draft, but Maryland’s Greivis Vasquez seems to be doing just that. After weeks of draft speculation put Vasquez as a mid second-rounder, he could be climbing out of the first round entirely to nab one of the first round’s prized guaranteed contracts.
Draft Express’ mock draft recently had Vasquez as low as No. 50 overall, but currently lists him in the No. 28 slot. That’s a hell of a jump to make this late in the game, and it’s even more interesting considering that according to Jeff Barker of the Baltimore Sun, Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft next week (via Mike Prada of SB Nation DC):
Former Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez has been invited to attend the NBA draft at Madison Square Garden in New York. His agent, Herb Rudoy, said today that Vasquez won’t be sitting with
John Wall, Evan Turner and the other projected lottery picks. Those
guys are draft royalty. They sit at tables in the equivalent of an
orchestra pit before the stands begin.
Unless he changes his mind about attending, Vasquez will sit with the second wave of players in the first few rows of stands. Vasquez is projected in many mock drafts as a second-rounder. He and Rudoy say he could go in the first round. Rudoy said today he’s hoping that the Garden invitation could
indicate that someone with the league has some positive information
about interest in Vasquez. But the agent doesn’t know that for sure.
The invite could simply be the league trying to put some of the bigger names of the second round in-house (and Vasquez certainly qualifies) for photo ops and the like. Or it could mean that there is legitimate first round interest in the combo guard’s services. Or there’s always the chance that it means absolutely nothing at all. Still, strange things are afoot with Vasquez’s draft stock, and the move to make him a part of draft night seems a bit too coincidental.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay