Jun 18, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
The Associated Press is reporting that the Miami Heat have chosen to pick up their team option on point guard Mario Chalmers. The 24-year old Chalmers had a very promising rookie campaign, averaging two steals per game and shooting 37% from beyond the arc while starting every game for the Heat. Chalmers had a bit of a sophomore slump last season; his 3-point shooting percentage dropped to 32%, his steals dropped to 1.2 per game, and he lost his starting job to basketball nomad Carlos Arroyo.
After exercising the option on Arroyo, the Heat now have four players under contract for next season — Chalmers, Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook, and Dwyane Wade. If Wade decides to opt out of his contract, which he almost certainly will, that number will drop to three.
Even though Chalmers had a rough 09-10 season, I think keeping him was the right move for the Heat. After all, Chalmers is a big guard who plays defense, has three-point range, doesn’t try to do too much, and isn’t afraid of big shots. If everything goes right, you can win a championship with one of those.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 38
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld