Tonight the end of an era for Boston

Jun 17, 2010, 8:36 AM EDT

boston_bigthree.jpgIt’s never going to be the same again.

This era of the Boston Celtics — The Big Three era — comes to an end tonight. Win or lose. Things will be changing in Boston, evolving. When the Celtics went out and got Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to join Paul Pierce, everyone knew this era would be pretty short. Looks like about three years.

Ray Allen is a free agent at the end of the season. Boston GM Danny Ainge considered trading him at the deadline, and at 34 you can seriously question how long a deal he should get now. He’s had a good finals, however, and based on that somebody is going to overpay. It happens every time.

There will be a lot of other changes. Not Paul Pierce, he’s not walking out on the $21.5 million he is owed next year, but he theoretically could opt out. However the bench will change. Glen Davis (good) and Rasheed Wallace (not so good) will be back, but they are the only ones under contract. Nate Robinson, Tony Allen and the rest of the bench could be gone.

Tom Thibodeau’s and his defensive game plans will be gone, at least until Chicago comes to the Garden on a road trip.

Doc Rivers may be gone as well. He’s seriously considering becoming a family man and a television analyst for a couple of years. He may think that a title or two, that these finals runs with this team, were what he could get out of this squad and it is time to step back.

At some point, the Celtics have to start building for a future around Rajon Rondo. It is now his team, and the future is all his. That should start this summer, as the Celtics start a process of getting younger,

Boston could be back next season, but it will not be the same. Times, they are a changin’.

Take one last look tonight, Boston fans, and enjoy this moment. Savor this era, which fittingly ends in a dramatic Game 7. Because after tonight things start to change.

1. Sam - Jun 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

We are all homosexual. No matter how gay we are, we can get gayer. Just keep the faith. I don’t know why everybody is so glum.

2. CJ, - Jun 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Win or Loose…..the Celts should rightfully be proud!,as should the Lakers!

3. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Ha ha ha ha! You have been schooled. Take your shame and hide it in your own closet. I am the truth.
    Now, I will lmfao at you and you pathetic retorts.
    LMFAO!

4. iluvdabutt - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Lakers Fan here: I’m not sure you go out right away and “break up” a team that is one game away from possibly winning a Championship. Yes I get it, this ain’t the 2008 Celtics and they’re aging, but the 2010 Celtics squashed the rest of the L’East like the no-heart punks they are. I’d be looking to resign Ray to something fair, getting some younger/hunger dudes, and playing the starters not named Rondo & Perk 20-25 minutes a night for the first 72 games. Basically, try to replicate this year with all that rest but without the injuries. Unless Wade, Bosh & Lames all end up in Miami, and even then I wonder, who in the East beats the current roster when healthy?
    The Lakers are in their prime, and those Celtics “old” dirty bastards just don’t quit.
    See you in the 2011 finals!

5. Laker Fan - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Not sure what school you’re talking about but judging by your comments I believe you attended Reform School !!!!

6. Dan - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Omnius: You forgot the fact that GM Ainge presided over three terrible seasons and luck wasn’t on their side regarding the 07 draft in which they were not able to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant even when they ended 24-58. Both Ainge and coach Doc Rivers were on the verge of getting fired had they had another terrible year. The trades for Allen and Garnett had to be done without question. If it didn’t work out that year, so what, a new regime would have been brought in. Give Ainge the credit for having the cojones to do this.

7. Pete and Repeat - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Have enjoyed the entire series and hate to see it end. Believe the Lakers are the more consistent team, but I love me my Celtics. Go Celts!

8. Bob Cousy - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM

One of modern sport’s greatest rivalries will once again be on display tonight. Speaking for Russell, Jones and Heihsohn from Boston and the greats from the Lakers, West, Baylor, Goodrich and all who came after from both teams, it is moments like tonight that give pause and richness to the game beyond celebrity, overpaid athletes and spoiled brat fans. Enjoy the moments my friends, I know I will.

9. Stryker - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Laker fan since the early 80′s here.
    Beyond a doubt, this Celtics team has shown character. Reminds me of the Pistons team that butt-kicked us in ’04. If our Lakers lose, no doubt the Celtics deserved it. Win or lose this team deserves respect. I can’t say the same for the Celtics fans (and Lakers fans as well) who have nothing cerebral to say and just rain on trash just for the sake of it.
    I like my team’s chances of winning. If banner 16 gets to hang on the rafter it would be so much sweeter because it was won over the best opposition NBA has to offer the Lakers.
    Props to both teams.

10. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Ah ha! I see the confusion has wrecked your brain. The school is the one that each of us attends and you have truly been schooled!
    Hazzah to the Lakers.
    Poo poo faces like you shall feel the wrath on the Lakers and my soon to be lover Phil. Take that you fools!
    You have been schooled!
    I now lmfao at you.
    LMFAO!

11. Boston Blackie - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM

True Lakers IQ is lower than the ground he walks on. Dumb as a STUMP! Not the brightest bulb in the drawer!

12. Anonymous - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Omnius, what kind of homer moron garbage are you spouting? If Garnett didn’t hurt his leg last year, the Celtics might be looking at a three-peat. Even if they would have lost with a healthy Garnett last year, you’re talking NBA Champions, Eastern Conference Finals, NBA Finals (potentially NBA champs again) the last three years and it could have been Celtics / Lakers in the finals three years in a row. It’s like the glory days. Even the casual fans have been pulled in these last three years. I live in Boston and basketball was dead in this town. The last three years have been phenomenal around here. What GM wouldn’t kill for three years like both the Celtics and the Lakers have had the last three years? You don’t have the slightest f&*%ing clue what you are talking about.

13. boston blackie - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM

True Lakers is a RETARD! Take it to the Bank!

14. Basketball Jones - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I’m looking forward to a truly memorable game 7 tonight between two historic teams. If Bynum and Perkins are both out, that makes things even and we should see some real hardball. Obviously, the Lakers have the edge with home court, but I’m not counting the Celtics out for one minute. I will enjoy watching Pierce, KJ and Ray Allen play together for the last time. Go Celtics, let’s do this thing!

15. b sievers - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Grow up butt munch!
    Is this the best stuff you can come up with on the cusp of 2 excellent teams battling it out for a championship?
    I readily admit I’ve been a Celtics fan since I was old enough to enjoy the game (about 10 yrs old) during Bill Russell’s great run in the 60′s, but by the same token have admired the great Lakers teams throughout the same time frame. My personal favorite times were when Bird and Magic had those great series’ in the 80′s. But win or lose, good times or bad I’ve stayed faithful as a fan, and will be truly happy tonight regardless of the outcome as long as give a full effort (not like tuesday).
    Leave it all on the floor Celts!!!
    I look forward to seeing a tough and exciting game tonight!

16. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Ha ha! Hazzah! Once again a weak minded fool has been slayed by my awesome words of wisdom and intelligence. You, sir b sievers, are an unknowing victim of your own Celtic curse. Seek you a new foe as I will destroy you and your ilk. What your Celtics will leave on the floor will most likely be steaming and emit a putrid stench.
    Hazzah!
    I am King of The Hobbits and Lover of Phil Jackson. And you have been schooled.
    I now lmfao at you and leave you to cry in your inadequacies.
    LMFAO!

17. b sievers - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM

About the reply I expected from a special school flunkee.
    If you think that I’ve been schooled that just further proves that you need to be SCHOOLED.
    Enjoy the rest of your pathetic life as a loser, loser! Because if this means THAT much to you…………………….

18. Anonymous - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Hey genius,
    It’s “slain” not “slayed”. Now you have been schooled. However, I will defer to your expertise on steaming piles of putird stench.

19. Anonymous - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I meant “putrid”. Excuse the typo.

20. Anonymous - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I meant “putrid”. Please excuse the typo in post 43.

21. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hazzah. You are admitting defeat! I am sorry to have caused you the public humiliation that you so richly deserve. Your anger is apparent and your dark side has been aroused. You now sit in your lair stewing over the fact that I, The Hobbit King, have bettered you on such a public stage. Go slither back to your hole and weep uncontrollably as I lmfao at you
    LMFAO!

22. Frank1 - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Celtics aren’t and bever have been about “Moral Victories.” All this, “you did us proud”, “awesome run.” It’s Celtics TONIGHT by 6. Take it to the bank!

23. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM

It is most humorous when a mere mortal jackazz (a.k.a. “genius”) attempts to correct a poster’s error and, in doing so, proceeds to commit their own error and end up correcting it twice because they are too dimwitted to understand how to post. You, sir, are a moron, but I salute you for you are King of the Morons.
    You have been schooled by all those who witnessed your pathetic attempt at schooling others.
    Please feel free to correct any other typo or misnomer I or you may publish, but I assure you, one correction per offense shall be sufficient.
    Now, I lmfao at you and leave you to your thesaurus.
    LMFAO!

24. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM

And, my dear Anonymous, for you further schooling, the use of either slain or slayed for the past tense of slay is correct! Hazzah!
    Get thee to a Websters prior to your attempts at schooling.
    You have been schooled royally!
    I now lmfao at you as I leave you in a pile of shameful tears.
    LMFAO!