Jun 17, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
We were all thinking it. But nobody was saying it. Admit it, even those of you in Phoenix were thinking it, even if you couldn’t admit it to yourself.
Amare Stoudemire is done in Phoenix. That’s what a source told JA Adande of ESPN.
“Amare’s done,” according to the source. “He’s gone.”
Stoudemire has made it clear — pay me the max or I am gone. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver is the kind of owner fascinated with overachieving, low-paid players. Your Goran Dragic. Your Jared Dudley.
Alvin Gentry is a very good coach who can do a lot with young talent like that. But if you don’t pay for the A-List talent — Steve Nash, Stoudemire — you don’t return to return to the Western Conference finals. Forget about moving beyond that. Phoenix needs those guys, and needs more around them.
That is not where Phoenix appears to be heading. But we all knew that.
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 0
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 56
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36