Jun 17, 2010, 9:52 AM EST
We were all thinking it. But nobody was saying it. Admit it, even those of you in Phoenix were thinking it, even if you couldn’t admit it to yourself.
Amare Stoudemire is done in Phoenix. That’s what a source told JA Adande of ESPN.
“Amare’s done,” according to the source. “He’s gone.”
Stoudemire has made it clear — pay me the max or I am gone. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver is the kind of owner fascinated with overachieving, low-paid players. Your Goran Dragic. Your Jared Dudley.
Alvin Gentry is a very good coach who can do a lot with young talent like that. But if you don’t pay for the A-List talent — Steve Nash, Stoudemire — you don’t return to return to the Western Conference finals. Forget about moving beyond that. Phoenix needs those guys, and needs more around them.
That is not where Phoenix appears to be heading. But we all knew that.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)