Jun 17, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
We were all thinking it. But nobody was saying it. Admit it, even those of you in Phoenix were thinking it, even if you couldn’t admit it to yourself.
Amare Stoudemire is done in Phoenix. That’s what a source told JA Adande of ESPN.
“Amare’s done,” according to the source. “He’s gone.”
Stoudemire has made it clear — pay me the max or I am gone. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver is the kind of owner fascinated with overachieving, low-paid players. Your Goran Dragic. Your Jared Dudley.
Alvin Gentry is a very good coach who can do a lot with young talent like that. But if you don’t pay for the A-List talent — Steve Nash, Stoudemire — you don’t return to return to the Western Conference finals. Forget about moving beyond that. Phoenix needs those guys, and needs more around them.
That is not where Phoenix appears to be heading. But we all knew that.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20