Jun 17, 2010, 7:03 PM EST
Earlier today, you read about how the writing is on the wall regarding Amar’e Stoudemire’s imminent departure from Phoenix. Amar’e wants a max contract, Phoenix wants to cut costs, and that’s not a good combination for Phoenix fans hoping to see Stoudemire stay.
According to the twitter freed of Fox Sports Radio host Chris Vernon, Sonny Vaccaro came onto Vernon’s show on Thursday and said that he is “convinced” Stoudemire will join the Miami Heat this off-season.
Vaccaro’s opinion on these types of matters is worth considering — a longtime high-powered marketing exec who signed Michael Jordan to his first shoe deal and one of the godfathers of grassroots basketball, Sonny Vaccaro was William Wesley long before William Wesley was.
Of course, Vaccaro may be using common sense as much as his inside information — Stoudemire is a Florida native, Miami has the space to keep Wade and give Amar’e a max deal, and are ready to give up on the underachieving Michael Beasley. Of all the possible free-agent moves this summer, Amar’e to Miami seems like one of the easiest to predict.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)