Tiago Splitter wins Spanish title, now considering coming to the Spurs

Jun 16, 2010, 10:38 AM EST

splitter.jpgTiago Splitter could be the Spurs savior.

San Antonio wants to make one more run with Tim Duncan at the heart of the lineup, but these playoffs showed that even with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili the team isn’t there.

Splitter could change that.

He is the best center in Europe, skilled and physical. He just helped lead Saski Baskonia to the Spanish League title this week. While his contract has two more years he can opt out right now, and a quote on noticiasdealava.com shows he is debating if his future is in Spain or San Antonio.

“We still do not know what I do. If it was my last game is the best way to say goodbye, but right now I do not know what to do. I have to think and see what is best for me and my family. I have yet two-year contract and an option to leave, but I do not know what will happen. ”

Splitter — who is generally considered able to walk in tomorrow and be a quality NBA starter — would give the Spurs the big man they need to pair with Duncan along the front line. He’d be another weapon. Suddenly the Spurs would be better, deeper and younger.

With him and another move or two, the Spurs could be contenders again. Without him… well, it’s not easy to climb Everest without a Sherpa.

1. Enrique - Jun 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM

This is the last hurrah. We need Splitter and that maybe enough. It is time for Garrett Temple, Malik Hairston and Ian Mahinmi to step up. Mahinmi needs to spell Duncan and develop a low post game. Well, he has one, he just needs to use it. Hairston needs to shoot better than Jefferson and not be afraid to drive the basketball. Temple needs to be a reliable athletic backup point guard.
    The one thing I want out of the draft is a super quick point guard or a small forward who can shoot. I am not sure we need Jefferson. I think Hairston is a poor man’s Jefferson but Jefferson was a shadow of himself last year.
    Splitter should come to San Antonio where he can play basketball at the highest level, make money, be loved by fans and be the heir apparant for Duncan.

2. ddddd - Jun 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Think of the possibilities… Duncan was drafted at the tail end of Robinson’s career and they won a championship together… Now if Splitter could come over now it would be the reincarnation of the first championship Duncan and Robinson won together… What should we call the guy… Sargeant??? Just need to shore up the 3 and the bench and all is good…

3. Dennis - Jun 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM

The Spurs need to sell Tiago Splitter on the idea that winning an NBA championship is the pinnicle of professional basketball and if the has the desire to be the best, he has to play in the best league and that is not the Spanish league…A center with his talent should want to play with the best and play with players that are totally unselfish and can feed the lion his dinner….I believe that all resources available to the Spurs should be spent to get this guy over here NOW AND I DO MEAN NOW. There is no way the Spurs can get a better big unless they literally sell the farm and trading Parker and other working pieces for an older big man makes no sense…..Splitter can handle the position and needs to be signed….We gave Scola away and made a huge mistake and Splitter can be better than Scola. Sign him, it should be the priority. Pay him whatever it takes to make the deal.

4. analyzed - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM

The Spurs could realisticaly offer Splitter the mid level this year $ 6M then $ 8 M to 10 M for the next 2 years. when RJ and Parkers salaries are off the book which brings them under the salary cap. It comes with the risk of not having enough left to sign Parker and RJ but I think it’s a risk we just have to make.
    Can some business with a Hispanic market also add on the finacial incentive to play for the Spurs by way of sponsorship. I”m sure we can make an offer to good to refuse

5. prub - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I sure hope that Splitter signs with the spurs this off season! Go Spurs!!!

6. Cable - Jun 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I don’t see why Spliter would not come. Last year or the previous one Splitter was making 3 million. And the spurs could only offer 850k on the rookie scale. So ya there was a huge pay cut. Plus the euro had close twice the value of the dollar. But now we can offer almost 6m and the euro is tanking.
    I am not sure he will be a offensive threat maybe10 per game, but he should fix the defense. All we need now is a lock down perimeter defender and some shooting. Even if Splitter caused us to be over the cap when Parker is up for another contract this should not matter. We can offer Parker what ever we want since he is already on the team we just could not offer a new player more than an exception.
    With Spliter on the team, we should not do anything drastic. We scored about 100 a game in the playoffs we just could not play defense. Jefferson should be better in his second year. Everyone struggles in there first year. Why sacrafice Parker for a minor upgrade. Now I would love to add someone like pietrus who can play D and shoot the 3 buy like I said he will probably struggle that first year. Why not let Jefferson show what he can do.

7. David - Jun 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I agree with you all the way. Esp with getting pietrus but I wonder how we would get him?

8. Bebop-alula - Jun 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

It’s the best time for Tiago Splitter to come. They need another big man now and it could serve as a good transition period for the post-Duncan era. The Spurs should get him now and remedy the money crunch later on thru trades or what. The buyout is high but I hope they learned from the Scola fiasco

9. Steffi Ivanovic - Jun 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The Spurs should get him now and not in two years. Survey the opposition – Lakers’ Gasol and Bynum, Magic’s Howard and Gortat, Rockets’ Yao and Scola, Portland’s Oden and Aldridge, etc. The Spurs need another big man, and an experienced one, not a novice from the draft. Duncan has two more years left in his contract. The Spurs should not scrimp money and help him in his last chance to get another ring. And Tiago should not come in two years when the spurs are already a weak team.

10. Titletown99030507 - Jun 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM

If Splitter comes that would be a great help, but don’t forget the this years draft is a good one and by the talks coming out of the Inidana Pacer FO they’ve come out and said they would take Hill for the 10th pick. How about the 10th and the 40th pick for Hill and RJ’s expiring contract? The Spurs would have the 10th, 20th, 40th, and 49th pick.
    In this draft the first 3 picks would be picks that would contribute and the last could be developed.
    All this for Hill and RJ – I am all over that in a heart beat.
    10th – Paul George, Luke Babbitt, Gordon Hayward, possible Demarcus Cousins, Ed Davis, Xavier Henry, (pick one)
    20th – Soloman Alabi (7′”1 outside shot and shot blocker with post up qualities), Stanley Robinson
    40th -Nemanja Bjelica – Serbian SF (6’10”)
    49th – Dexter Pittman
    From trading Hill and RJ to Pacers plus our picks you can potentially see Soloman Alabi, Stanley Robinson, and Xavier Henry, and Nemanja Bjelica.
    Spurs Roster:
    Splitter, Duncan, Luke Babitt, Manu, Tony
    Soloman Alabi, McDyse/Blair, Nemanja Bjelica, Xavir Henry, Nando De Colo
    Temple, Mahinmi, Hairston
    The point is we would get 3-4 quality players for 1 and 1/2 players. Just a thought.

11. eeeeeccccccccc - Jun 22, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Splitter is being offered at least 12 million a year overseas. The Spurs need to either match that or convince him to play in the NBA for less.

12. edward denn - Jun 23, 2010 at 3:31 AM

splitter is the real deal, I’ve seen video of this guy and he can seriously ball. If he is even considering coming to the spurs it’s up to them to convince him. I know the people of San Antonio will make him feel welcome.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches