NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 7: Kendrick Perkins is reportedly ruled out

Jun 16, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT

Screen shot 2010-06-16 at 9.53.46 AM.pngKendrick Perkins’ status for the series finale is a game-changer, and could quite literally decide the championship. This isn’t to say that the Lakers can’t beat the Celtics while Perkins is in the lineup or that the Celtics can’t win without him, but should Perk be forced to watch from the sidelines, the scale tips L.A.’s way. There would still be 48 minutes between the Lakers and the big prize, but they would hold a definite lineup advantage on their home court to boot.

With that in mind, consider the gravity of ESPN’s report from an unnamed source with the Celtics that Perk will be a no-go on Thursday:

The Boston Celtics might go to Game 7 without center Kendrick Perkins. He landed awkwardly trying to haul in an offensive rebound midway through the first quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night and suffered a right knee sprain. Perkins was hopeful, saying: “I’m going to try to give it a go [on Thursday].” But a team source told ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan: “He’s done.”

It’s one report from an anonymous source, but the implications of a missing Perkins are substantial enough to forward it along. Should the source be correct, Rasheed Wallace and Glen Davis could not possibly be more important, as their combined ability to fill minutes at center and defend the middle will be crucial. Considering the way Wallace has picked up fouls in this series, relying on him to play major minutes (at STAPLES, mind you) could end poorly.

1. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Hazzah! You have felt the hot wrath of my finely honed virtual sabre. Be careful or I will school you once more with another cutting insight. Do not tempt the fates, Hackpiper.
    I remain, Foul Dwimmerlaik, and I shall now lmfao at you and depart.
    LMFAO!

2. Get Real... - Jun 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Charmngblly…every time you speak, all humanity weeps for your ignorance and stupidity. It’s funny, it seems like the biggest perverts, and I mean the true deviants, always call out other people for it. I’m starting to get the picture about you Charmngblly. You really enjoyed putting those words (“bodying up”, “touches”) in parentheses, didn’t you? I would accept your level of thinking, if you were like 12…but even then it would be diappointing. BTW…I would categorize myself as a member of the human race. You’ve gone the way of the moron. Now pound your chest and go drink a beer. But you won’t achieve sh*t. Unless you consider a sports car or $100 jeans an achievement.

3. lescheryl - Jun 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

You have got to be kidding. All I have heard about is how much better the Lakers would be if Bynum were healthy. At least he was able to play. You saw how Gasol was shut down this series until Perkins’ injury. Wake up!!!!~

4. Chrmngblly - Jun 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Real,
    Sounds like you are mad. Just notice, though, that you are guilty of everything you are complaining about in all the rest of us. Not a pretty picture, is it? Nobody else is calling names and ranting like you are. Nobody here cares which sex you like to climb under the covers with. Still, when you figure it out and wish to reveal it, feel free. I am pretty sure most Celtics fans will welcome you into the fold.
    Relax.

5. Get Real... - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Dear Chrmngblly. I am relaxed. You are the one that’s bringing homophobia into the fold. But you’re too stupid to even realize it. I’m just working on my computer on stuff…that you know…will help me achieve my goals – let me cut you off before you say something equally as stupid as what you have been saying – it has nothing to do with getting under the sheets. As far as me coming on here, I’m just having fun. Because the arrogance and stupidity some of you Lakers fans carry yourself with is funny and at the same time, tragic. You fit the tragic part perfectly. I won’t be on here tomorrow, ’cause I don’t give a sh*t! But you will! Now that’s funny.

6. Mike - Jun 16, 2010 at 10:06 PM

watching the replay, if you think about what Kobe is doing on this play, he clearly puts his leg and foot between Perkins legs, then kicks his foot and leg out to throw him off balance. Plays that are dirty/illegal, that end in injury should be looked at very seriously by the league. It isn’t very good basketball when half the players are injured due to dirty illegal plays.

7. Paul Piss - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Everyone who is smart enough will know that this poser just wants us Lakers fans to look bad. Lighten up.

8. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Hazzah! F We cheer for the same squad. Please do not cast aside my exuberant efforts. I am not only a fan, but also King of The Hobbits and I love Phil Jackson (I mean I desire to love him physically). Certainly, those should prove my authenticity!
    Hazzah for my Lakers and My Phil. Great big pooper balls to those who forsake the Lakers!

9. Kobe's Destiny, Jr. - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:34 PM

You need to go back to the Asylum, boyo. I must have done much damage to your persona for you to use my name handle across the board. You can have it. My pro bono for you.
    BTW, the Karolinska Institute isn’t a mental asylum. Just goes to show what a berk you are. But carry on. Your shenanigans have undoubtedly proven me right. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

10. jj - Jun 18, 2010 at 3:30 AM

wtf to me NBA needs better ref and young ref because game 7 was good but the ref start cheating for the LAKERS

11. LOL - Jul 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM

hahaha, if that happened lakers would have won by game 4,5 or the 6th couldnt say that they would have won by exactly 4th, but anyway, boston loss , no big deal (: we’ll get them again , altho celtics probably dont know what to do with the boxes of 2010 Championship Celtics Tees XD

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches