Jun 16, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Kendrick Perkins’ status for the series finale is a game-changer, and could quite literally decide the championship. This isn’t to say that the Lakers can’t beat the Celtics while Perkins is in the lineup or that the Celtics can’t win without him, but should Perk be forced to watch from the sidelines, the scale tips L.A.’s way. There would still be 48 minutes between the Lakers and the big prize, but they would hold a definite lineup advantage on their home court to boot.
With that in mind, consider the gravity of ESPN’s report from an unnamed source with the Celtics that Perk will be a no-go on Thursday:
The Boston Celtics might go to Game 7 without center Kendrick Perkins. He landed awkwardly trying to haul in an offensive rebound midway through the first quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night and suffered a right knee sprain. Perkins was hopeful, saying: “I’m going to try to give it a go [on Thursday].” But a team source told ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan: “He’s done.”
It’s one report from an anonymous source, but the implications of a missing Perkins are substantial enough to forward it along. Should the source be correct, Rasheed Wallace and Glen Davis could not possibly be more important, as their combined ability to fill minutes at center and defend the middle will be crucial. Considering the way Wallace has picked up fouls in this series, relying on him to play major minutes (at STAPLES, mind you) could end poorly.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31