Jun 16, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Kendrick Perkins’ status for the series finale is a game-changer, and could quite literally decide the championship. This isn’t to say that the Lakers can’t beat the Celtics while Perkins is in the lineup or that the Celtics can’t win without him, but should Perk be forced to watch from the sidelines, the scale tips L.A.’s way. There would still be 48 minutes between the Lakers and the big prize, but they would hold a definite lineup advantage on their home court to boot.
With that in mind, consider the gravity of ESPN’s report from an unnamed source with the Celtics that Perk will be a no-go on Thursday:
The Boston Celtics might go to Game 7 without center Kendrick Perkins. He landed awkwardly trying to haul in an offensive rebound midway through the first quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night and suffered a right knee sprain. Perkins was hopeful, saying: “I’m going to try to give it a go [on Thursday].” But a team source told ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan: “He’s done.”
It’s one report from an anonymous source, but the implications of a missing Perkins are substantial enough to forward it along. Should the source be correct, Rasheed Wallace and Glen Davis could not possibly be more important, as their combined ability to fill minutes at center and defend the middle will be crucial. Considering the way Wallace has picked up fouls in this series, relying on him to play major minutes (at STAPLES, mind you) could end poorly.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 19
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 9
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23