Jun 16, 2010, 10:52 AM EST
Kendrick Perkins’ status for the series finale is a game-changer, and could quite literally decide the championship. This isn’t to say that the Lakers can’t beat the Celtics while Perkins is in the lineup or that the Celtics can’t win without him, but should Perk be forced to watch from the sidelines, the scale tips L.A.’s way. There would still be 48 minutes between the Lakers and the big prize, but they would hold a definite lineup advantage on their home court to boot.
With that in mind, consider the gravity of ESPN’s report from an unnamed source with the Celtics that Perk will be a no-go on Thursday:
The Boston Celtics might go to Game 7 without center Kendrick Perkins. He landed awkwardly trying to haul in an offensive rebound midway through the first quarter of Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night and suffered a right knee sprain. Perkins was hopeful, saying: “I’m going to try to give it a go [on Thursday].” But a team source told ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan: “He’s done.”
It’s one report from an anonymous source, but the implications of a missing Perkins are substantial enough to forward it along. Should the source be correct, Rasheed Wallace and Glen Davis could not possibly be more important, as their combined ability to fill minutes at center and defend the middle will be crucial. Considering the way Wallace has picked up fouls in this series, relying on him to play major minutes (at STAPLES, mind you) could end poorly.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)