Jun 16, 2010, 9:01 AM EDT
Steve Kerr’s job number one this summer is to re-sign Amare Stoudemire.
Make that was job number one. His new job number one is to work out that contract with TNT. Job number two is to stay out of his wife and kids way — they have a routine set.
So what happens to the old job number one?
The departure of Kerr does not help efforts to bring Stoudemire back to the Suns next year.
Stoudemire’s agent Happy Walters told FanHouse he is not happy because Kerr and Walters had been working well together toward an extension with Stoudemire. Now, everything is up in the air.
Stoudemire himself had a strong belief in Kerr and this move does not help the prospects of re-signing him, said Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
But in the end, it’s all about the money.
If Suns owner Robert Sarver approves a three-year maximum extension for Stoudemire — in the $60 million range — then Stoudemire will stay in Phoenix.
But Sarver just lost Kerr because he asked him to take a pay cut. Some reports suggested it was a 10 percent cuts, others suggested it was much higher than that.
If Sarver is asking Kerr to take a pay cut, is he going to offer Stoudemire a max deal?
They are not talking pay cuts in Miami, that’s for sure.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 10
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 10
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 16
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement