Jun 16, 2010, 4:22 PM EST
Tragic news for the Celtics and their fans — Kendrick Perkins is out for Game 7.
He arrived at Staples Center today with his teammates, walking on crutches and with a heavy brace on the knee. Looking very down, he said he suffered a torn MCL and a partially torn PCL in his knee. An MRI will be done to confirm this diagnosis.
He added if this had happened in December he would have been done for the season.
Unfortunately, it happened instead at the worst possible time, both to him and Boston. The basketball gods can be cruel that way.
Doc Rivers admitted after Game 6 that not having Perkins makes it harder to match up with the long Lakers front line. More importantly, Perkins is a key contributor to the energy and physicality the Celtics bring on defense.
“He’s one of our guys that I think gives us great spirit, gives us a lot of toughness and gives us size,” Rivers said.
His being out will mean more minutes for Rasheed Wallace and Glen “Big Baby” Davis. Based on their performance these finals, expect Davis to get the start but Sheed to get serious minutes.
To a man, Celtics players are saying they just have to step up. Kevin Garnett said he may spend some time at the 5, and he is fine with that.
“Other than playing point guard, it’s very rare that I’m uncomfortable out there,” Garnett said.
Ray Allen was on that same track last night (about stepping up, not KG at the point).
“We have to push forward, and there are guys that are on the bench that can step up and make the plays that Perk is capable… or that perk has made over the course of our time here,” Allen said. “So you know, it does make Glen more valuable and Rasheed will play more minutes and definitely Sheldon (Williams) will be in there a lot more. We’re going to be counting on them.”
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)