Jun 16, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT
Tragic news for the Celtics and their fans — Kendrick Perkins is out for Game 7.
He arrived at Staples Center today with his teammates, walking on crutches and with a heavy brace on the knee. Looking very down, he said he suffered a torn MCL and a partially torn PCL in his knee. An MRI will be done to confirm this diagnosis.
He added if this had happened in December he would have been done for the season.
Unfortunately, it happened instead at the worst possible time, both to him and Boston. The basketball gods can be cruel that way.
Doc Rivers admitted after Game 6 that not having Perkins makes it harder to match up with the long Lakers front line. More importantly, Perkins is a key contributor to the energy and physicality the Celtics bring on defense.
“He’s one of our guys that I think gives us great spirit, gives us a lot of toughness and gives us size,” Rivers said.
His being out will mean more minutes for Rasheed Wallace and Glen “Big Baby” Davis. Based on their performance these finals, expect Davis to get the start but Sheed to get serious minutes.
To a man, Celtics players are saying they just have to step up. Kevin Garnett said he may spend some time at the 5, and he is fine with that.
“Other than playing point guard, it’s very rare that I’m uncomfortable out there,” Garnett said.
Ray Allen was on that same track last night (about stepping up, not KG at the point).
“We have to push forward, and there are guys that are on the bench that can step up and make the plays that Perk is capable… or that perk has made over the course of our time here,” Allen said. “So you know, it does make Glen more valuable and Rasheed will play more minutes and definitely Sheldon (Williams) will be in there a lot more. We’re going to be counting on them.”
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14