Kendrick Perkins out for Game 7

Jun 16, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Perkins_hurt.jpgTragic news for the Celtics and their fans — Kendrick Perkins is out for Game 7.

He arrived at Staples Center today with his teammates, walking on crutches and with a heavy brace on the knee. Looking very down, he said he suffered a torn MCL and a partially torn PCL in his knee. An MRI will be done to confirm this diagnosis.

He added if this had happened in December he would have been done for the season.

Doc Rivers admitted after Game 6 that not having Perkins makes it harder to match up with the long Lakers front line. More importantly, Perkins is a key contributor to the energy and physicality the Celtics bring on defense.

“He’s one of our guys that I think gives us great spirit, gives us a lot of toughness and gives us size,” Rivers said.

His being out will mean more minutes for Rasheed Wallace and Glen “Big Baby” Davis. Based on their performance these finals, expect Davis to get the start but Sheed to get serious minutes.

To a man, Celtics players are saying they just have to step up. Kevin Garnett said he may spend some time at the 5, and he is fine with that.

“Other than playing point guard, it’s very rare that I’m uncomfortable out there,” Garnett said.

Ray Allen was on that same track last night (about stepping up, not KG at the point).

“We have to push forward, and there are guys that are on the bench that can step up and make the plays that Perk is capable… or that perk has made over the course of our time here,” Allen said. “So you know, it does make Glen more valuable and Rasheed will play more minutes and definitely Sheldon (Williams) will be in there a lot more. We’re going to be counting on them.”

1. kountryking - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Tough break for the Celts. It’s time for Sheed to shine and the bench to play as they did the other night. Rondo can’t keep missing the easy ones my grandmother could make. That whole game last night looked suspicious. Maybe the government needs to investigate the NBA. I’d hate to see a Black Sox scandal for the sport.

2. PK - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM

No investigation necessary if Celtics win but if they stink in Game 6 then there must be a fix. Bynum healthy and Celtics would have been out already. No crying from the Lakers but now it starts – whine.

3. peco - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The Cream WILL Rise 2 the top. Celtics WILL Prevail Because They Have More Heart. U WILL C Thurs!!!!!!!!

4. Lakers4Lyfe - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Look at the positives. The Celtics fans now have an excuse. Last year it was KG or the nursing-home bound Celtics would have won three in a row, right?

5. VJ - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Travel cross country on a 8-9 hour flight and see how much you stink up the court. The Lakers were going home. The Celtics had jet lag. Now Perk out. #11 for Phil!

6. VJ - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM

7. Juan Bernal - Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Too bad that Perkins is injured. I would like to have seen the Celtics at full strength when they go down in game 7. Of course, all those Celtic fans who were sky high after game 5, now have their excuse, and they will need it.

8. b sievers - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM

It’s like my Dad always used to say, “they still have alot of programs and beer to sell”.

9. Laker Fan - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I never root for injury, but that’s part of the game. In any case, you Boston louses and your neanderthal mouthy team are finished. Enjoy the next decade or two without a title. Lakers win!!!

10. BostonSucks - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Poor babies! Last finals the biggest BS in the history of the NBA was pulled off by Pierce when he fell to the floor and had to be carried off like an injured vietnam soldier. The “appearance” of the injury seemed so bad from how pierce played it off that we all believed his leg might have to be amputated at the knee — Alas! Mr. Miyagi must have been in the locker room doing his Karate Kid magic medical fix, because 2 mintues later Pierce comes running back in the building like a bobcat!! Talk about a faking drama queen! Boston sucks and they are the biggest cry babies in the world… LAKERS IN 7!!!!!

11. BostonSucks - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM

12. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Hazzah! I am the most best of all Laker fans and I am in love with Phil Jackson. To all who doubt the superiority of My Phil and his Lakers I say “Poopers” to you. Yes, Poopers!
    Now I will lmfao at you. LMFAO.

13. lakerfansrtards - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:35 PM

the name pretty much sums it up!

14. Tom Merritt - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Can someone please tell me what the H is wrong with Kevin Garnett? He plays like someone’s grandmother!!! I went to Yahoo sports this afternoon and added up the minutes he has played and compared with Koby. They both are amazingly close on NBA minutes played. About 45,000 plus each. I’ve heard on multiple sports talk radio shows that there is a certain threshold in terms of minutes played where all NBA players really slow down. Can’t recall the threshold but it seems like Garnett is well past it? If any of you have any other explanations other than he is just worn out as a basketball player please email me at etmerritt33@hotmail.com? It just seems like if he were close to what he used to be the Celtics would be much more competitive with the Lakers. I’ve been a Celtics fan since 1957 and Bill Russell is my all time favorite. I read that Bill walked out in disgust last night.

15. Marisol - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Best of luck for a speedy recovery Kendrick Perkins…….
    Come on Boston get off your ass’s and play Basketball this is the Championship round and you came to LA last night as if you were trying out for a freakin rec league!!! No one showed up to play, they played last night if they were scared, we will never win this way… Good Luck…. Go Boston…

16. b sievers - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Agreed Tom, I remember when KG averaged 14 rebounds per game, he probably doesn’t have many more than that for the series!
    He’s 7′ tall for gods sake, most of the time lately I see him out on the perimiter instead of under the basket, WHY?
    Russell is 6’9″ and averaged 25 boards for his entire playoff career, playing against Wilt, Thurmond, ect., maybe it’s time for a 70 something Russell to suit up!

17. youdontknowjack - Jun 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Uh, how about when the Lakers did the same, just the other direction, in game 3 and won in Boston.
    Your theory is flawed my friend.

18. Eric the Red - Jun 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I love the Lakers (I live in LA now) but I was a Celtics fan before I moved to LA. Still like the Celtics a lot. The series wins over Orlando and Cleveland with that “MVP”, what’s his name, showed everyone what teamwork is all about.
    I want the Lakers to win game 7, but I won’t be devestated if they don’t.

19. WA - Jun 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM

If the lakers lose this one, the entire bench gets the blame. If they win, it’s Kobe Bryant’s brilliance, right? hope celtics win

20. Zack - Jun 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM

“Unfortunately, it happened instead at the worst possible time, both to him and Boston. The basketball gods can be cruel that way.”
    Or maybe the basketball gods are evening things out for the other team having a center with 1 leg

21. planktonDisciple - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I’m not going to cry about injuries. The rest of the Celts are healthy and if they lose the Celtics lose, to an outstanding team.
    But Perk was contributing more on defense and he slows the game down. They are much faster in transition with Davis. If Davis and Wallace and Garnett can avoid foul trouble, they have a chance. They certainly won’t miss a dozen layups in game 7.

22. Phillip - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Celtics win if Big Baby stops apologizing to Laker fans for spanking them in Game 4 and plays big quick and nasty on thursday. At 280lbs he’s the biggest man on the floor and quick enough to jump in front of kobe on an occasional bad switch.. he’s young enough to play 48 minutes and as strong as anyone on the court…Man up Big Baby and throw some weight and some nasty around…and note to refs…we are NOT tuning in to see YOU..or some endless parade of free throws. We want to see the Celtics and the Lakers decide who is the NBA Champion..so swallow your whistles…. get out of the way and let the players play…please.

23. Drew - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I wouldn’t say this injury happened at the worst possible time. The worst possible time would’ve been the start of the playoffs. Here, the Celtics just need Herculean efforts from everybody for one game. If there’s a “good” time to have an injury like this, it’s now. Otherwise, this series would’ve been over by now without him.
    Bynum has been banged up too. Injuries are a part of the game. Other teams have won and lost series due to injuries.
    It’s pathetic how bad some of the arguments are on here. I know you have a passion for your teams, but at least use some sensible arguments.

24. Hackpiper - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Gee…I expect trash talk…but even I did not expect Laker fans to be such arrogant, malevolent and hypocritical a-holes over this. Appalling.
    Oh well…Bring on game 7!

25. tejano2k - Jun 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM

The only thing the Celtics will see rising is Kobe, Gasol and Brown (put air traffic control on this guy) and whichever other Laker player is open at the rim to slam it home! Go lakers!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches