Andrew Bynum says his knee sucks but he can play one more game

Jun 16, 2010, 4:04 PM EDT

Bynum_Davis.jpgAndrew Bynum’s knee injury is old news — Kendrick Perkins knee injury is the new black. Everybody is talking about it.

But Bynum’s knee is not feeling better, as was evident watching Bynum try to move in the second half of Game 6. It still is swollen and painful. But he is going in Game 7.

“I need surgery, but I’m holding off…” Bynum told the assembled press at practice Wednesday. “Just gotta go out and lay it all out there.”

With Perkins likely out, any lift Bynum can give the Lakers would be a huge boost. A little time protecting the rim could be big for the Lakers. However, the smaller and more nimble front line Boston will use without Perkins could have limited Bynum’s minutes anyway. He cannot track Sheed out to the three-point line, for example.

But Bynum will be out there. He has said he would not let this be is 2008, and he’s been true to that word.

1. Jon - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Kid’s got heart.

2. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

You may sense my superiority in all matters of which I speak. I love Phil Jackson (on a physical level, though I have not yet to meet him). To any Celtic fan who believes the team from Boston has a chance, I say doo doo poo head to you. To all Lakers fans, I say Hazzah!
    I am also a friend to all Hobbits, if there be any in the room. Now I shall lmfao at you and take my leave. LMFAO!

3. Athrunicole - Jun 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

The Golden Beast just awakened after 2 games of sleep at the jungle territory of the Green Slimes, now that the final showdown will be on his lair, another epic massacre on the making!
    Rome

4. geo59 - Jun 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I get it. I get it. Tolkien and Middle-earth language because after tomorrow night only Phil, Kobe and Derek will be worthy of the title ‘Lord of the Rings’. Cooo…el. Okay, I’m talking about players currently in the league. As for Phil, that part doesn’t matter. Go LA!

5. Whatevahfugitaboutit - Jun 17, 2010 at 8:22 AM

So, no one-legged dance with Perk? I can’t say he’s been very effective since game 3, (for obvious reasons) but he has manned up and been a deterrent in the paint, which has been critical in this series. Time to BRING IT HOME, BABY!! Kobe and company ROLL tonight…

6. KalamaT212 - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Win it for us tonite LA boyz! As for bynam, hell!! If I was paid as much as him I’d play with broken legs … suck it up

7. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Yes geo59. You are enlightened beyond you world. Lakers are secondary gods (secondary to my greatness) and worthy of our honor.
    Hazzah.
    I shal now lmfao and depart.
    LMFAO!

8. ADICT - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Rich franklin knocked out chuck ladell with a broken hand!!! suck it up perkins. ehh its not like perkins really did anything but look mad. seriously can he physically smile?

9. ocgunslinger - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM

It is too bad that both Perkins and Bynum will not be at full strength tonight. That would help make this a highly contested and anticipation of two great teams in a great match and something to behold.
    Don’t count Boston out because this game could easily swing to either team with a great (or bad) play or two from either side. But it will be the Lakers 97 to 89 tonight.

10. phil collins - Jun 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM

perk is supposedly one of the nicest (and funniest) guys on the team off the court. on it, he does much more than look mad, the guy is one of the top 3 one on one post defenders in the league. i have to give credit to bynum for really stepping up and playing through pain. his presence on the court forces perk to guard him (instead of gasol). Without Bynum, you’d have perk guarding gasol (much tougher for pau than kg) and KG eating odom alive. go green tonight!

11. Omnius - Jun 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Andrew Bynum is the epitome of True Grit! Bynum has gritted his way through these playoffs and he will play in game 7 and give it his aall knowing surgery is right around the corner. While many Lasker fans diss Bynum for being injured every year and want to trade him I’m not with that crowd. One of these years Bynum is going to remain healthy the whole year and he’ll be a force to be reckoned with come playoff time. Tonight Bynum will earn his second ring playing injured, truly the Willis Reed moment!

12. tejano2k - Jun 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM

@ Foul Dwimmerlaik…It takes all kinds I guess. Assuming that “hazzah” is good, sir, “hazzah” back to you! Anyway, I’ve not been a big Bynum fan for various reasons. I was at first but with the injuries and sometimes the appearance of lack of hustle, etc… I kind of got off of his bandwagon. Now…seeing his resolve to stick it out for these Finals, I have a new found respect for him. Only 48 minutes of play left, AB. We need you for just a few of those. As you said, “leave it all out there”. There’s plenty of time for off season fixes. AB has proven me and countless others wrong by his “heart”. Thanks, AB and, GO LAKERS!

13. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Yes, my friend, Hazzah is a good tidings cheer. One of celebration. I have used it often in my position of King of The Hobbits, though I do not bring that up to make anyone feel in awe of my standing.
    When the finals are over, I plan to persue my personal relationship with Phil Jackson.
    Hazzah to the Lakers.
    Great big doo doo balls to those who are not Lakers fans!
    I shall now lmfao and depart a King.
    LMFAO!

14. amadeo emmanuel - Jun 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM

ITS ALL ABOUT DESTINY THAT LAKERS DREAMING FOR MORE THAN DECADE NOW ITS ALSO THE TIME TO SHINE IN FRONT OF THAT STAPLE CROWD WHO WILL BOOST THE MORALE OF EVERY PLAYER GETTING ENERGIZE AS HOME SWEET HOME THE BEST MOM DELICACY IS NOT FARAWAY ALREADY WRAP IN A SILVER PLATTER BUT STILL REST ON HOW THESE LAKERS INTENSITY WILL DISPLAY THEIR COHESIVE CONSISTENCY AS A UNIT THEY MUST BRING THE A GAME THAT THEY POSSESS FROM THAT GAME 6 AND COMPLIMENT IN EACH DEPARTMENT ESPECIALLY IN OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING AND PUT UP DEFENSIVE STAND ESPECIALLY INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE PAINT THEY MUST BE LIKE A JAZZ COMBO PLAYER,DICTATE THE TEMPO,EARLY NOT THE OTHERWAY AROUND.GAME 7 IS A GAME OF DEATH WHERE HERO AND VILLAIN EXIST, THIS IS IT NO MORE TOMMOROW JUST THINK TO AVENGE 2008 DEFEAT AND ALSO 4 CONSECUTIVE GAME 7 LOSES TO THE SAME TEAM ITS COLOR GREEN.IT MAY NOT BE THE SAME PLAYER BUT THE DRAMA STILL LINGERS CARRIES UP TO THE PRESENT ERA. GOD BLESS YOU GOLD AND PURPLE BE CONFIDENT ENOUGH ONE DAY WILL CHANGED THE HISTORY BOOKS FOREVER JUST TO REMIND SHARE THE BALL THATS IT.

15. Shift Key - Jun 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Amadeo, Why can you NOT find the shift key for you name, but you apparently can’t un-shift key when you type your comment? You need to work on that a little. Also, a few more punctuation marks sprinkled within your rant (and maybe putting the ones you have in there at the appropriate places) may have made it more readable and understandable, if not more adult.

16. [a] proxy - Jun 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Bynum has mad heart! GO LAKERS!!!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches