Jun 15, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
NBA referees call lots of fouls and violations over the course of a game. The players those fouls and violations are called on often disagree with the rulings made against them. This much we know. But which players are the biggest whiners when a whistle doesn’t go their way?
Any NBA fan curious about that will want to check out the work done by the good people at the Wall Street Journal, who have been tracking the “complain rate” of every player in the NBA Finals.
Every time a player gets a foul called on him, the Journal took note of whether or not that player argued the call. The results were interesting.
The Celtics have been the bigger complainers in the series, taking issue with 48% of the calls against them. The Lakers have been more reserved in their protests, complaining about only 36% of the calls against them.
Ray Allen has been the biggest complainer of the series, with a 73% complain rate through the first five games. Kendrick Perkins (despite his technicals) and Rasheed Wallace are right behind him, with complain rates of 68% and 65%, respectively.
Kobe and Pau have been the biggest Laker complainers; each of them have argued 50% of the calls against them, as has Rajon Rondo of the Celtics. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett have been on relatively good behavior, with complain rates of 36% and 32% — Lamar Odom and Ron Artest have been absolute choir boys, with complain rates of 27% and 23%. The quietest player off all the regular players in this series has been Andrew Bynum, who’s only complained about 15% of the calls against him. Of course, Bynum’s play has been pretty quiet as well.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld