Jun 15, 2010, 4:07 PM EST
UPDATE, 5:51 PM: According to Adrian Wojnarowski and Johnny Ludden of Yahoo! Sports, the impetus behind Kerr’s departure was that Suns owner Robert Sarver asked Kerr to take a 10 percent pay cut.
Kerr has been in the post three years, and according to Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic had planned to return as of just a few weeks ago. But then he started negotiating a new deal just as Doug Collins left being a TNT analyst to coach the Philadelphia 76ers.
Kerr had been a TNT analyst, and is expected to return to that job.
Kerr lives in San Diego but had been commuting to Phoenix for this job. His son will be a high school senior next season (and is a basketball player drawing college interest).
Kerr helped set up Robert Sarver buying the team and is part owner of the Suns. Three years ago he stepped into a role as general manager straight from the analysts booth.
His first moves were questionable — brining in Shaquille O’Neal to try and bring size and defense to the run-and-gun Suns of Mike D’Antoni. Didn’t work, it just turned out to be an anchor that dragged the team down. As did the Terry Porter era as the Suns tried the fit the round peg of their roster into the square hole of a more traditional offense.
But Kerr learned. He adapted. He gave Alvin Gentry the job and brought in players to help the Suns run again. This year they ran all the way to the Western Conference finals.
Kerr has yet to comments on the move, as has Sarver.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 3
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 3
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9