Jun 15, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT
What do the New York Knicks have to offer LeBron James?
A roster of quality players ready to compete for a title once he signs? No. More money than any other team can offer? Nope, that’s Cleveland. The chance to occasionally escape the glare of the spotlight in the comforts of your hometown? No, kind of the opposite.
Celebrities? That New York has.
So the Knicks have formed a committee of celebrities to help woo LeBron James and other potential free agents interested in the Knicks, according to the New York Post (which got confirmation from the Knicks).
The committee includes Donald Trump, Chris Rock, John McEnroe, Whoopi Goldberg, Phil Simms and Knicks legend Willis Reed, among many others. Like Charlie Rose.
The Knicks deserve some credit. On the court the yare not winning, but Donnie Walsh has spent the last two years cleaning up the worst roster in the NBA — in terms of money paid per win — and getting it in a position to go after free agents and rebuild. Meanwhile they have put on a full court press off the court to highlight all their advantages.
They’ve done the best they could. It may not be enough, but it’s a good effort.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8