Jun 15, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT
What do the New York Knicks have to offer LeBron James?
A roster of quality players ready to compete for a title once he signs? No. More money than any other team can offer? Nope, that’s Cleveland. The chance to occasionally escape the glare of the spotlight in the comforts of your hometown? No, kind of the opposite.
Celebrities? That New York has.
So the Knicks have formed a committee of celebrities to help woo LeBron James and other potential free agents interested in the Knicks, according to the New York Post (which got confirmation from the Knicks).
The committee includes Donald Trump, Chris Rock, John McEnroe, Whoopi Goldberg, Phil Simms and Knicks legend Willis Reed, among many others. Like Charlie Rose.
The Knicks deserve some credit. On the court the yare not winning, but Donnie Walsh has spent the last two years cleaning up the worst roster in the NBA — in terms of money paid per win — and getting it in a position to go after free agents and rebuild. Meanwhile they have put on a full court press off the court to highlight all their advantages.
They’ve done the best they could. It may not be enough, but it’s a good effort.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 0
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50