Jun 15, 2010, 10:34 AM EST
What do the New York Knicks have to offer LeBron James?
A roster of quality players ready to compete for a title once he signs? No. More money than any other team can offer? Nope, that’s Cleveland. The chance to occasionally escape the glare of the spotlight in the comforts of your hometown? No, kind of the opposite.
Celebrities? That New York has.
So the Knicks have formed a committee of celebrities to help woo LeBron James and other potential free agents interested in the Knicks, according to the New York Post (which got confirmation from the Knicks).
The committee includes Donald Trump, Chris Rock, John McEnroe, Whoopi Goldberg, Phil Simms and Knicks legend Willis Reed, among many others. Like Charlie Rose.
The Knicks deserve some credit. On the court the yare not winning, but Donnie Walsh has spent the last two years cleaning up the worst roster in the NBA — in terms of money paid per win — and getting it in a position to go after free agents and rebuild. Meanwhile they have put on a full court press off the court to highlight all their advantages.
They’ve done the best they could. It may not be enough, but it’s a good effort.
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 0
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 9
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 43
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 22
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4