NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 6: Lamar Odom has the flu

Jun 15, 2010, 8:49 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for odom_bench.jpgThis time, there may actually be a reason for Lamar Odom’s quiet night.

Odom started feeling sick with flu-like symptoms on Saturday and did not feel better during his 8-point performance in Game 5 Sunday. He hoped to be felling better for Game 6, he told Lisa Dillman at the Los Angeles Times.

“I haven’t been sick all season … now I’m sick in the Finals,” said Odom after the Lakers’ 92-86 loss to the Celtics here in Game 5. “Had to put my hard hat on just to get out of bed. It was tough.

“I’m not feeling good, but I’m not making any excuses. I’ve just got to be ready to play.”

Odom has played better than any of the other Lakers bench players. Which is about like saying you’re the best of the Pittsburgh Pirates starting pitchers — it doesn’t mean you’ve been any good.

If the Lakers are going to force a Game 7, they will need a healthy Lamar Odom. Both his body and his game.

1. Omnius - Jun 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Chances are Lamar Odom feels better today than Sunday. Just being home is going to mnake the whole Laker’s team feel better and the Ancient Celtics are the ones who will have the sick feeling of loss after tonight’s game 6. Time for the Laker’s Big Men to come up big against Boston’s Little Big Men and to rack up lots of points in the paint. Lakers in 7 games!

2. Erin Shean - Jun 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Go Celtics Go!

3. chris - Jun 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Lakers in 7!!

4. jack - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Lakers fans seems always to be denial!Always stating they are to old and slow. Last I checked wisdom and experience seems to beat out youth 99.9999% out of the time!

5. dancing foot - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

A good loser always sets up his excuse ahead of time.

6. kimbear - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I agree with dancing foot.

7. cheryl - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Woo Hoo…..right on!
    Go Lakers Go!!!

8. Bob - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I know there are some intelligent Lakers fans out there who know that Boston isn’t a washed up team of old men. Unfortunately Omnius doesn’t fall in that category. The Celtics play as a team and they win as a team and they are 11 for 11 when taking a 3 games to 2 lead in Championship series. Not to take anything away from the Lakers because they have talent also but I think the Celtics are better defensively and have a deeper bench. GO CELTICS!!

9. WhatExcusethistime? - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM

HAHA…ancient Celtics…
    They have been running circles around your what, not so ancient Lakers?
    Fisher and Artest give the Celts a run for thier “ancient” money…so simmer down Omnius.
    Prediction…Kobe comes out firing and misses his first 4 shots…all the while the Celtics build a nice 10 point lead within the first 5 minutes…
    Hey Lake Show…say BYEBYE!! Celtics in 6 so these lame excuses of why the Lakers keep losing can stop…
    We have heard Pierce flops too much (cough FISHER cough), Odom is sick, Kobe is getting bad calls, blah blah blah blah blah…
    How about the reality of it all…that being…THE CELTICS ARE JUST A BETTER TEAM!! period.

10. Anonymous - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

You all forget the Lakers worked all season long to get homecourt for a reason. 10-1 at home in the playoffs…. Will be 12-1 after two more home games!!! Lakers have only played 2 home games in the Finals… Home Cooking will do the trick…

11. Bob - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

12. PierceRayKGRondoPerk - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Right on Bob!!
    Lakers fans are just talking smack because they know its over and they are just padding themselves for the inevitable.
    I find it funny how many people wrote the Celtics off so early and still did after they beat Orlando.
    We have one of if not the best active point gaurds in the league. 2 PURE shooters who have made a career out of nailing shots in people’s faces. A leader who is one of the top defenders in the league and a bench that will get your 90 year old grandmothers ass excited.
    Every starter on the Celtics (despite thier age) are still leaps and bounds better then every Lakers starter with the exception of Kobe.
    Our bench is better.
    Our Coach is better (yeah I said it)
    So I really still don’t know how people discredit what this team has done and is about to do??
    Kobe is good, but he got real lucky to win the championship last year. Without Shaq or another good big man (cuz Gasol, Bynum, and Odom) are as soft as charmin, he isnt winning again.

13. Bob - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Yup. Unfortunately they can’t continue to play western conference teams. The Celtics gave them that one loss which makes then 1 and 1 against Boston at home.

14. ernesto - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I still like the Lakers in 5!

15. Browneyes - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

We will see all you laker haters who’s going home with the gold ball.LMAO

16. lisa - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM

funny how know the Lakers fans are saying Lakers in seven. When the series started it was Lakers in five. Now they don’t have that chance if they are going to win it they have to do it in seven. I don’t think that will happen the Celtics know how to win on the road.

17. huh? - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

yup… even with a name like that, im sure youre completely NOT biased, right.
    so Kobe got ‘real lucky’ to win the championship last year? um… this is a TEAM game… the LAKERS won, not just kobe… sad that that had to be explained
    anyway, Lakers wanted home field advantage… they have it, lets see what they will do with it

18. tony - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

PierceRayKGRhondoPerk – your lack of basketball knowledge is a disgrace to the sport…go back to school chump…

19. LAKERS 2010 - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM

LAKE SHOW in 7!!! Remember the Celtics have played their last home game for the 2010 playoffs!! If it were not for the 2-3-3 format the Lakers would be looking to closeout tonight. Worked all season logn for Home Cooking. This will be the difference for the 2010 playoffs vs 2008. GO LAKERS!!!

20. lisa - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

you forget the Celtics are the best road team in the NBA.

21. Bob - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

You need to change you handle to LAKERS2011.
    BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR! LOL

22. Bob - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Right on Lisa!!!! And they knocked out the teams with the best and second best records in the NBA on their own courts.

23. CelticsWin - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I guess we’ve come a long way from Kevin McHale playing in the finals on a broken foot.
    I assume that Odom has his bags packed for the summer as well?

24. Kim K - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

He is probably sick because he married a truly hideously ugly and overweight hunk of skank. That would make anyone ill.

25. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Anyone who says that the Lakers are not going to win are doo doo heads and poopy dooders. I mean it. I will hold my breath until i turn a somewhat blue shade of blue. I have to go change my diaper now, but no one better say anything bad about the Lakers or I will stick my tongue out at you….twice. Oooooooohhhhhh. You make me sooooooo mad!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches