Jun 15, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
What’s not to love about Memphis? Fantastic barbecue. Up-and-coming team with good talent. Elvis. Three picks in the first round to get better. Good coach. Did we mention the barbecue?
But draft prospects are not that into them. And they are not getting those prospects to come in to workouts, according to the Commercial Appeal.
Fresno State’s Paul George has done it. Kentucky guard Eric Bledsoe, Baylor’s forward Ekpe Udoh and Memphis’ own Elliot Williams all won’t come work out. Butler’s Gordon Hayward didn’t show up and gave indications he does not want to play in Memphis.
“Its par for the pre-draft course,” general manager Chris Wallace said. “That’s why you go out and watch the games during the season. There are times when the agent and the player would prefer to be in one place over another. But if we want them we’ll pick them, and we tell them that.”
The Grizzlies have three first round picks, somebody is going to have to play there.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 18
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 66
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8