Jun 15, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
One of the saddest storylines of this year’s playoffs was George Karl being forced to miss the Nuggets’ first-round playoff series because of a bout with throat and neck cancer. The Nuggets lost the series in Karl’s absence, and many feared that we had seen the last of Karl as an NBA head coach.
Fortunately, there does appear to be some good news on the George Karl front. Karl’s son Coby, a guard with the Nuggets, told NBA.com that he believes his father will be back on the bench at the beginning of next season.
According to the article, Karl said his father has “lost a lot of weight and still struggles to eat,” but his condition has greatly improved. Karl’s energy level isn’t at 100%, but that hasn’t stopped him from dropping by the office from time to time or watching as much of the NBA Playoffs as he can.
Hopefully Karl will return to coaching someday, but the best news of the moment is that Karl appears to be on the road to recovery from his struggle with cancer.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 1
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld