Jun 15, 2010, 8:21 AM EST
Like sands through the hourglass, so go the days of watching Tom Izzo decide….
Or not decide as the case may be.
There is no decision from Camp Izzo. Literally. Yesterday 16 credentialed media showed up to Tom Izzo’s youth basketball camp but the coach did not speak to them. He did speak to his campers however.
So one of them asked the question — where you going to coach next year? Izzo called it “bad question” and moved on.
And so we wait.
According to Brian Windhorst, we wait because Izzo wanted to talk to LeBron James himself to get a feel for his plans. And LeBron his having none of that, he is not remotely getting involved in anybody’s coaching search, and he is not talking to Izzo. By the way, it appears the leak that LeBron is “100 percent” supportive of the Izzo hiring came out of Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert’s camp, so take it with some salt.
Izzo remains stuck. Does he take the doubling of pay to coach Cleveland, walk away from the empire he has built at Michigan State, and hope that LeBron James shows up? Or does he stick with where he is, where he is successful, but always wonder what if?
There is no perfect answer, there may not even be a right one.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 1
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44