Jun 14, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Usually five games into an NBA finals, we have a pretty good idea who is going to get the finals MVP award.
This finals? Good luck. You’d have an easier time naming all 11 starters on the Slovenian national soccer team.
Really, the only consistently good player on both sides has been Kobe Bryant. The guy who tried to carry the Lakers to victory in Game 5 by himself during the third quarter. Win or lose, Kobe has been there, scoring 29 points or more in four of the five games. It has not always been efficient scoring, but he has been the one player who has attacked in each and every game.
The last guy to win Finals MVP on the losing team? Jerry West in the 1969 finals, when the Lakers lost in seven games to the Celtics at the old Great Western Forum. That was a group of more talented Lakers losing out to a better team in the Celtics.
For the Celtics, who do you pick?
Rajon Rondo has been the leader of their offense in terms of setting up, and he took over the second half of Game 4. Kevin Garnett has had two good offensive games and again remains key to the Celtics defense that has them ahead. Paul Pierce has had a couple good games now, but was missing the first half of the series. Ray Allen had a record setting night and a horrific night. Big Baby?
Maybe the referees for their influence on games?
The winner of the award may well be the guy that takes over Game 7. (Because you just have a feeling with these teams it is going to get there.) But if the vote were conducted now, we might need the Electoral College to come in because there would be know clear winner.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15