Jun 14, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Usually five games into an NBA finals, we have a pretty good idea who is going to get the finals MVP award.
This finals? Good luck. You’d have an easier time naming all 11 starters on the Slovenian national soccer team.
Really, the only consistently good player on both sides has been Kobe Bryant. The guy who tried to carry the Lakers to victory in Game 5 by himself during the third quarter. Win or lose, Kobe has been there, scoring 29 points or more in four of the five games. It has not always been efficient scoring, but he has been the one player who has attacked in each and every game.
The last guy to win Finals MVP on the losing team? Jerry West in the 1969 finals, when the Lakers lost in seven games to the Celtics at the old Great Western Forum. That was a group of more talented Lakers losing out to a better team in the Celtics.
For the Celtics, who do you pick?
Rajon Rondo has been the leader of their offense in terms of setting up, and he took over the second half of Game 4. Kevin Garnett has had two good offensive games and again remains key to the Celtics defense that has them ahead. Paul Pierce has had a couple good games now, but was missing the first half of the series. Ray Allen had a record setting night and a horrific night. Big Baby?
Maybe the referees for their influence on games?
The winner of the award may well be the guy that takes over Game 7. (Because you just have a feeling with these teams it is going to get there.) But if the vote were conducted now, we might need the Electoral College to come in because there would be know clear winner.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?